[comp.sys.mac] Broderbund PlayRoom on MAC IIci

ahorwitz@smcnet.UUCP (Allen Horwitz) (02/05/90)

I tried to run PlayRoom on my new IIci.  It keeps asking for
the orginal disk, which is what I was actually using.
I am sure that the problem has to do with the fact that the
IIci must use System 6.04, and Broderbunds software probably
has an earlier version and copy protection.

I tried to run the 6.04 installer over the original disk, but there
was not enough room to take it.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this, or at least
what to try next?

Sincerely,
        Allen Horwitz

mtoy@there.sgi.com (Michael Toy) (02/06/90)

In article <567@smcnet.UUCP> ahorwitz@smcnet.UUCP (Allen Horwitz) writes:

>I tried to run PlayRoom on my new IIci.  It keeps asking for
>the orginal disk, which is what I was actually using.
>I am sure that the problem has to do with the fact that the
>IIci must use System 6.04, and Broderbunds software probably
>has an earlier version and copy protection.

>I tried to run the 6.04 installer over the original disk, but there
>was not enough room to take it.

>Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this, or at least
>what to try next?

>Sincerely,
>        Allen Horwitz

Um, I just bought "PlayMaker Footbal" form broderbund, and it has
the exact problem you are describing also.  I called Broderbund and
found out that PlayMaker football is incompatible with the IIci.

I suspect that the program would run fine on the IIci, if it could just
get past the stupid copy protection check.  I'll post the results of
that experiment once I get an updated version of Hard Disk Util.

Michael Toy

rich@sdchemf (Richard Kanner) (02/06/90)

In article <567@smcnet.UUCP> ahorwitz@smcnet.UUCP (Allen Horwitz) writes:
>I tried to run PlayRoom on my new IIci.  It keeps asking for
>the orginal disk, which is what I was actually using.
>I am sure that the problem has to do with the fact that the
>IIci must use System 6.04, and Broderbunds software probably
>has an earlier version and copy protection.

I had a similar problem with my Mac II running the Dove 33Mhz 68030  board.
with their new star wars game.  It didn't matter which system I used
6.04, 6.03, 6.02, multifinder, no multifinder it still asked for the
original disk.  Upon which I would insert the original into the drive,
and it would spit it out and ask for the orignal disk.

Broderbund's comment was, "I sorry we don't have
that configuration in our data base.  Try to run it on another
machine.  If it is a defective disk we will replace it."
They seem to imply that since my configuration was not on their
database that I was SOL (Sh*t Out of Luck).

I havn't tried to run it on any other machines, since trying it on my
Mac II.  I think it has something to do with the copy protection scheme
but I am not sure.

I too would like a hint on solving this problem.

R. Kanner

R. Kanner