[comp.sys.mac] In need of GIF advice

crabtree@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (02/04/90)

I need some assistance on Gif files and the Macintosh.  Most of the Gifs that I download from Sumex are fine, but if I try files from any other FTP site, I
always end up with a screen full of garbage and usually a system error or two   before I give up.  I am using a Mac IIcx with the works, system 6.02, and
Giffer 1.something.  I doubt it is a hardware problem.  I have also tried using
MacTools to change the file type and creator and still end up with junk.
Do I need to add a line or delete a line or  something?  Any advice out there?  If I am the only one who can't do it, then call me a fool, but please post
some advice.
					Thanks in advance.
						pc
					crabtree@ukanvax.bitnet

Disclaimer:  "How can my boss know what I'm doing when I never have any idea?"

news@blackbird.afit.af.mil (News System Account) (02/06/90)

In article <22133.25cb4e4e@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> crabtree@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>I need some assistance on Gif files and the Macintosh.  Most of the Gifs that
>I download from Sumex are fine, but if I try files from any other FTP site, I
>always end up with a screen full of garbage... {remainder deleted}
One possibility is the file transfer format.  I've found several anonymous
FTP sites which expect binary file transfer whereas sumex expects you to use
text (the default) transfers.  If you are transferring from a "binary" site
using a text protocol, the results could be garbage.

Bob Pugh

consp22@bingsune.cc.binghamton.edu (Darren Handler) (02/06/90)

> I need some assistance on Gif files and the Macintosh.  Most of the
Gifs that I download from Sumex are fine, but if I try files from any
other FTP site, I
> always end up with a screen full of garbage and usually a system error
or two   before I give up.  I am using a Mac IIcx with the works, system
6.02, and
> Giffer 1.something.  I doubt it is a hardware problem.  I have also
tried using
> MacTools to change the file type and creator and still end up with junk.
> Do I need to add a line or delete a line or  something?  Any advice
out there?  If I am the only one who can't do it, then call me a fool,
but please post
> some advice.

Use Vision Lab instead of Giffer.  It is available prabably at
Sumex.Stanford.edu for FTP snatching.

|  Consp22@Bingsuns.pod.binghamton.edu  |  SUNY-B Computer Consultants -      |
|  Consp22@Bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu   |  Trying to keep the world safe from |
|  System Consultant - World Computers  |-------------------------------------|
|  Computer Cons. - SUNY Binghamton     |     Darren `Mac Hack' Handler       |
I don't know if I am going to heaven or hell, I just hope God grades on a curve