[comp.sys.mac] Color Icons in the Finder

rdsesq@Jessica.stanford.edu (Rob Snevely) (06/21/89)

For those of you who can't wait, the color-finder init, that allows color
icons in the finder, is now on sumex in info-mac/init/color-finder.hqx

The init was written by Chris Derossi.

You can get to sumex via anonymous ftp to sumex.stanford.edu or
sumex-aim.stanford.edu

rob

rdsesq@jessica.stanford.edu
                       If evil be the food of genius
                      There aren't many demons around

rewing@Apple.COM (Richard Ewing) (02/01/90)

I'll second the call for SunDesk and ResColors.  I couldn't even
find them on Applelink after much trying.  Please upload them
here at once, or tell me where they might be found on link.  thanks!

|Disclaimer:  I run 125 INITs. Nothing I say can be seriously considered. |
|Internet: REWING@APPLE.COM-----------------------Rick Ewing              |
|ApplelinkPE & MacNet Soon!------------------Apple Computer, Inc.         |
|Applelink: EWING--------------------100 Ashford Center North, Suite 100  |
|Compu$erve: [76474,1732]--------------------Atlanta, GA 30338            |
|GENIE: R.EWING1--------------------------TalkNet: (404) 393-9358         |
|USENET: {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!rewing                         |
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) (02/02/90)

--

I can upload them here in a day or so.

I presume comp.binaries.mac is ok.

  --scott

--
Scott Truesdell

rewing@Apple.COM (Richard Ewing) (02/06/90)

these cicn resources that I've been using with icon colorizer
into the icl8 resources that SunDesk uses?  Why was icl8
created in the first place?  This may sound silly coming
from an Apple person, but I can't keep up with everything.

bruce@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Bruce Burkhalter) (02/06/90)

In article <38361@apple.Apple.COM> rewing@Apple.COM (Richard Ewing) writes:
>these cicn resources that I've been using with icon colorizer
>into the icl8 resources that SunDesk uses?  Why was icl8
>created in the first place?  This may sound silly coming
>from an Apple person, but I can't keep up with everything.

The icl8 (and the icl4 and icl2) describe an icon of a specific bit depth.
The icl8 uses 8 bits for every pixel, the icl4 uses 4 bits for each pixel,
etc.  In System 7.0, the Finder will use color icons ala the ColorFinder
INIT.  To draw the icons, it will use the icon resource corresponding to the
current bit depth of the monitor i.e. if the monitor is set at 8-bits (256
colors) is will use the icl8.  This is done for speed.  It is faster to draw
the icon if the bit depths match.

Bruce Burkhalter