[comp.sys.mac] Pagemaker Duplex Pages?

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (02/06/90)

Just to show that I'm not a complete Mac hater, which doubtless the
whole Mac religious community has decided after my last posting, here's
a (shudder) useful one.

thompson@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>Even after wading through what seemed like most of the manual for Pagemaker
> 3.01, I still can't seem to find a way to print two *logical* pages on
> one *physical* page.  Specifically, I'm printing a newsletter, and the page
> size is half of an 8.5 x 11 page, so we can fold them in half and make

Hoo hah--a kindred soul!  I did the printing for a convention program
book this way (72 pages, with cover--shame the printer was such an
idiot) and ran into the same prob.  After many discussions, I found the
answer seems to be--no.

There is a new program, called PostStrip, which showed at the Big Mac
Show in Boston.  It'll strip pages in duplex form as you want--IT EVEN
ADJUSTS FOR STAPLE CREEP, which only the most grizzled strip-up artist
will even admit exists (This is the width of paper crowded out by each
successive page as you get nearer the center saddle staples).

Essentially you print-to-disk, then PostStrip eats the pages and puts
'em out appropriately.  Including the tedious, error-fraught "one with
seventy-two, two with seventy-one" business that's such a drag.

The only problem is I *still* (for I have not seen the program) need the
companies' address/name/etc that makes it.  And my attempts to ask the
net have returned nothing.

So: we know what we want, now if we only knew where to ask!

	Alex