[comp.sys.mac] Answer to LISTSERV question

kaplanr@slcpi.govt.shearson.com (Roger Kaplan) (02/03/90)

I placed a message on this group last week about my problem reaching the
list server (LISTSERV) at rice.  I have received a deluge of answers and
I'm posting this to disseminate my experiences.

First, a recap:

   There is a "list server" at Rice University, which is accessible thru
email.  Among other things, it contains an extensive list of Mac-specific
files, mostly from the sumex archive at Stanford.

   I was having problems getting to the server because the address that
Geoff Allen posted in his message was "LISTSERV@ricevml.rice.edu".  The
problem is that the address is actually "LISTSERV@ricevm1.rice.edu".  The
last character of "ricevm1" is a one (1) not an ell (l).

   For those of you who missed the original posting, you can get an index
from the server by typing

$MACARCH INDEX

for the latest 200 or so additions or

$MACARCH INDEX ALL

for the whole file.  This information was incorrect in Geoff's posting as
well.  You can also type

$MACARCH HELP

to get a brief help list, or simply "HELP" for the whole shebang.  I recommend
the short version; it gives you all you need to know to access the mac
archives.

   When you find something you like, use

$MACARCH GET <name>

to have the server send it to you.

   Incidentally, all of these $MACARCH commands should be lines inside the body
of the message, starting in the leftmost column.  I'm not sure if the contents
of the Subject: line are even looked at.

   Hope this information helps somebody...  and y'all can stop sending me
messages telling me that it's a one, not an ell!!

**Roger Kaplan      kaplanr@shearson.com   ...!uunet!slcpi!kaplanr
Shearson Lehman Hutton  (an AMEX company)   New Yawk, NY

Disclaimer: Neither AMEX nor SLH has anything to do with my postings.

geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) (02/07/90)

kaplanr@slcpi.govt.shearson.com (Roger Kaplan) writes:
>   I was having problems getting to the server because the address that
>Geoff Allen posted in his message was "LISTSERV@ricevml.rice.edu".  The
>problem is that the address is actually "LISTSERV@ricevm1.rice.edu".  The
>last character of "ricevm1" is a one (1) not an ell (l).

Yeah, sorry about that.

I did post a follow-up to the original article that gave the correct
address.  Sorry that you missed it.

I'm glad that you got your problem straightened out.

--
Geoff Allen                  \  I don't want to yield to fashion and
{uunet|bigtex}!pmafire!geoff  \  make the Macintosh as ugly as OS/2