[comp.sys.mac] Word 4.0: Various Questions

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (02/07/90)

In article <90037.103800SML108@PSUVM.BITNET> SML108@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>Hi, here are my questions:
>
>1) Will Macintosh MS word documents directly transfer to the IBM PC edition, or
>   if they don't, is there a program to do this for me?

Word will save documents as MS-DOS Word format, though some bits don't
translate; Styles, Outlining, and Tables, for example.

>2) We are finding that files created on a mac connected to an imagewriter will
>   not properly print to a laserwriter on a separate mac.  We were told we
>   would have to re-enter the documents to get them to work.  I find this hard
>   to believe.  Does anyone know what to do here?

On the Mac connected to the ImageWriter, use the Chooser to select the
LaserWriter, even though there isn't one attached.  Word adjusts its rulers
and font widths differently depending on the current printer.  The LaserWriter
margins are generally narrower than the corresponding ImageWriter margins, so
I have found it easiest to leave the LaserWriter selected while formatting,
then use the TogglePrinter FKey to switch to the ImageWriter to print a sample.
Since the ImageWriter margins in Word are wider, I don't get funny wordwraps
and unexpected broken lines this way.

>Thanks in Advance,
>Scott Le Grand aka sml108@psuvm.psu.edu

<chaz>

                 Chaz Larson - clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu
            "Hey, I'm no Jack Kennedy..." - Flaming Carrot