[comp.sys.mac] Practica Musica?

ruth@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Ruth Aylett) (02/06/90)

Back in May, jlc@atux01.uucp recommended a package called Practica
Musica as a way of learning music theory on a Mac. In the fulness of
time I tried to email jlc to find out price/availability of this package,
but my mail bounced.

So can anyone give me this information? If it turns out to be expensive,
or hard to get, can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative? (must run on
a 1meg Mac+ !).

                                                  Ruth Aylett
                                                  ruth@aiai.uucp
                                                  R.Aylett@uk.ac.ed

tbutler@wpi.wpi.edu (Tim Butler) (02/07/90)

In article <1690@skye.ed.ac.uk> ruth@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Ruth Aylett) writes:

>   Back in May, jlc@atux01.uucp recommended a package called Practica
>   Musica as a way of learning music theory on a Mac. In the fulness of
>   time I tried to email jlc to find out price/availability of this package,
>   but my mail bounced.

>   So can anyone give me this information? If it turns out to be expensive,
>   or hard to get, can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative? (must run on
>   a 1meg Mac+ !).

>						     Ruth Aylett
>						     ruth@aiai.uucp
>						     R.Aylett@uk.ac.ed

As of last august, Practica Musica had a s.r.p. of $125.00 and was from:
	ARS Nova Software
	P.O. Box 40629
	Santa Barbara, CA 93140

It won an Eddy (award from MacUser) in 1987, so its probably ok.

				-tim
Tim Butler
tbutler@wpi.wpi.edu
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Worcester Polytechnic Institute

wsinkees@lso.win.tue.nl (Kees Huizing) (02/07/90)

ruth@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Ruth Aylett) writes:

>Back in May, jlc@atux01.uucp recommended a package called Practica
>Musica as a way of learning music theory on a Mac. In the fulness of
>time I tried to email jlc to find out price/availability of this package,
>but my mail bounced.

>So can anyone give me this information? If it turns out to be expensive,
>or hard to get, can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative? (must run on
>a 1meg Mac+ !).

I just received a leaflet about Practica Musica 2.2 via the reader's info
service of MacWorld.  The price is $125.
Company address:	ARS NOVA
			Box 637
			Kirkland, W.A.
			98083-0637
			call toll free in US: 800-445-4866

From the leaflet:
Practica Musica is a musical training system in the style  of 'games' or
'activities'.  It includes learning musical notation, scales, intervals and
chords, ear training for melody and rythm.  Sound is derived from actual
recordings.  Includes 'library of 40 historical excerpts from Beethoven's
Fifth to Merry Christmas'.

It runs from Mac Plus to IIci.

I haven't tried it, I just read the leaflet.
						Kees
--
Kees Huizing - Eindhoven Univ of Techn - Dept Math & Comp Sc - The Netherlands
DOMAIN: wsinkees@win.tue.nl    BITNET: wsdckeesh@heitue5    FAX: +31-40-436685