[comp.sys.mac] Diskfit

jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) (01/23/88)

There is a review of backup utilities that are currently out on the market
in the February issue of MacWorld.

						Jim Collymore

P.S.  In the comparative survey, DiskFit is the only onw that has no "Cons"
in the author's opinion.  This is not the case for the other backup utilities
that were reviewed.

dtw@F.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Duane Williams) (01/24/88)

| P.S.  In the comparative survey, DiskFit is the only onw that has no "Cons"
| in the author's opinion.  This is not the case for the other backup utilities
| that were reviewed.

There were no "Cons" mentioned, but there should have been.  I think that
Diskfit is a fine program and I would recommend it to anyone, but it is not
the ideal backup program.

Diskfit does not perform selective file restores.  To get a single file back
you have to read the text file "Diskfit Report", find out which of your
disks contains the file you want, and copy the file with the Finder.  Other
backup programs in the MacWorld comparative survey do perform selective file
restores; so its absence in Diskfit should have been listed as a "Con".

Diskfit tries to minimize the number of floppies you need to keep a complete
backup of the current state of your hard disk.  Sometimes this conflicts
with the user's desire to minimize the time involved in doing backups.  It
can be very annoying to have to mount a floppy just so that Diskfit can
stuff a single small file into some unused space, while you know that there
is plenty of room for that file and others on the last disk in the set.

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (02/02/90)

In article <1439@husc6.harvard.edu> siegel@endor.UUCP (Rich Siegel) writes:

>	Retrospect is a Seriously Cool Program. It does almost everything I
>could ask for in a backup and archive program, with the exception of
>reclaiming incremental backups a la DiskFit, it works over the network,
>and the new SCSI init in version 1.1 makes my Apple Tape Drive 40SC unit
>really sing.

The only problem I have with Retrospect is that I don't want it to
archive duplicates nor to restore them, but what does one do when
they have different programming projects with files named identically
but in different folders?

Ken

--
Ken Hancock '90            | DISCLAIMER: I'm graduating and looking for
Consultant                 |             a job, so I'll stand by my words.

Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) (02/08/90)

Craig,

If you're looking for a "true" archival application or the best possible way
to back up to tape, get Retrospect...no question.  However, if you want a
backup utility, get DiskFit, as Dantz still envisions DiskFit as their goal of
a backup (versus archive) utility.

Fabian Ramirez
SuperMac Technology
fabian@cup.portal.com