[comp.sys.mac] Don't buy SuperLaserSpool

arie@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Arie Covrigaru) (01/31/90)

In article <7724@cs.utexas.edu> knapp@cs.utexas.edu (Edgar Knapp) writes:
>In article <5506@blake.acs.washington.edu> rowen@blake.acs.washington.edu (Russell Owen) writes:
>
>[Long flame of SuperMac omitted...]
>
>Well, here we go again. Anecdotal evidence on one product (SLS) is
>generalized to put down a whole company (SuperMac). To balance it off
>a little, let me tell you that I think that SuperMac is one of the
>finest companies in the Mac market. Evidence (partly anecdotal):
>
> - SuperSpool. A real life saver. I used it with my IM II as long as I
>   had it without even the slightest hitch (even TeXtures'
>   non-standard font treatment posed no problem at all!).

I also had problems using SuperLaserSpool 2.0 and VersaTerm 4.0.  It kills the
print spool and if it doesn't, it crashes at the end of the print job.

I also witnessed problems with FileMaker II when sharing files on an
AppleTalk network.  SuperLaserSpool 2.0 causes the network to freeze.

Arie Covrigaru                     |    Internet: arie@eecs.umich.edu
University of Michigan AI Lab      |    1101 Beal Ave., Ann Arbor, MI 48109

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (02/01/90)

As quoted from <0848aw3@unify.uucp> by craig@unify.uucp (Craig Isaac):
+---------------
| In article <7724@cs.utexas.edu> knapp@cs.utexas.edu (Edgar Knapp) writes:
| >In article <5506@blake.acs.washington.edu> rowen@blake.acs.washington.edu (Russell Owen) writes:
| >
| >[Long flame of SuperMac omitted...]
| >
| > - DiskFit. I couldn't live without it. Five minutes a day gives me my
| >   peace of mind. Fast, easy to use, reliable. Never had a crash that
| >   I could attribute to it (ever tried Redux or FastBack?).
|
| Ditto.  It has saved my life!  (job? :-)

+---------------

Job?!  (BTW, when will we see a Mac version of Accell? ;-)

I also rely on DiskFit; it works quite well, and I've had few problems with it
(the only one I've had was caused by Fresh Start, which I subsequently ditched
because it caused problems with other programs as well).  I've had to restore
things, too, which I dreaded, but it went without a hitch.  And its ability to
repair damaged backups (missing or unreadable disks) is very useful.

...although I may be moving to Retrospect eventually, since I've got a lead on
some potentially cheap Archive SCSI 150MB tape drives which don't appear to be
supported by DiskFit.  (Oh, well.  But since both Retrospect and DiskFit are
from Dantz Development, I'd look on it as an upgrade.)

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery    allbery@NCoast.ORG, BALLBERY (MCI Mail), ALLBERY (Delphi)
      uunet!cwjcc.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery ncoast!allbery@cwjcc.cwru.edu

rte@cbnewsi.ATT.COM (ralph.t.edwards) (02/02/90)

Well, here's another data point, I called SuperMac a few weeks
ago to get info on a SuperMac product I bought less than three years
ago, a memory upgrade for my 128 to 1 Meg. (works fine)
I wanted info as to whether it was compatible with scsi upgrades.
First techie tried to convince me I was confused, and didn't really have a
SuperMac product, even though I read him the product name from the warranty
card.  Second guy never heard of it, but was willing to look it up.
"Oh yeah that was our first product."  He had about two sentances
of info on it, had no idea what the upgrade consisted of, and of course
no idea what it was consistant with.  Reason? "We've been sold twice
and moved three times since then." (Or maybe the other way around)
Neither guy had any interest in following up the information request.

Summary, the product works, I know nothing about their current products,
their tech support is not (old) user friendly.

glf@sppy00.UUCP (Hill) (02/03/90)

In article <1793@cbnewsi.ATT.COM> rte@cbnewsi.ATT.COM (ralph.t.edwards,ho,) writes:
>Well, here's another data point, I called SuperMac a few weeks
>ago ...
>
> ["thumbs down" explanation deleted]

OK. I've been watching this thread for days now and I can no longer
keep quiet.

A few weeks ago, I had a problem restoring my entire DataFrame 20 from
a DiskFit backup set.  Without going into boring details, SuperMac was
VERY helpful.  A quick e-mail to Fabian, and a phone call to SuperMac
Technical Support solved the problem.  Both knew just what was wrong
(old software, actually) and what I needed to do to fix it
(and it didn't cost me anything but the long distance call from
Ohio to the west coast.)

At any rate, I was pleased with the service.  I know people who have
Toyotas that are pure lemons, despite the fact that they're supposed
to be the most reliable cars around.  The point is that even reliable
companies occasionally have bad products or service, and every
company of any size has jerks working for them.

There's good, there's bad.  From the tone of the postings, it appears that
SuperMac was good, then bad, now good again.  Give 'em a B+ for now and
get on with it.

Greg Feldman-Hill     {seismo|cbosgd}!osu-cis!sppy00!glf  -or-  glf@sppy00.UUCP
OCLC - Online Computer Library Center ...  Dublin, Ohio
"... blah blah blah ... nothing clever to say today ... blah blah blah ..."

Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) (02/08/90)

Ralph,

Could you provide me with specific names.  I remember speaking to someone
within the last month or so, but it wasn't about compatibility with SCSI
upgrade.  Being sold (?) isn't an excuse, but being new and not knowing ALL of
SuperMac's previous products can be.  I've been here at SuperMac for over 2+
years now and there's only been one other person that been here longer than me
and that's by a week or two.  Please email me.

Fabian Ramirez
SuperMac Technology

Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) (02/08/90)

Russell,

Thanks for the reply.  Sorry that it's taken so long for me to reply, but
Portal has had some problems with my subscription and I'm doing this the
hard way...I'm not a UNIX kind of guy...

I've forwarded you comments to management.

Fabian Ramirez
SuperMac Technology