[comp.sys.mac] Help with LISTSERV

kaplanr@slcpi.govt.shearson.com (Roger Kaplan) (02/02/90)

There was a file posted a few weeks ago by Geoff Allen about his attempts
to get PD Mac software from server sites and such.  He claimed that the
best method was to use the list server (LISTSERV) at Rice University.

I tried sending a message (with the commands $MACARCH GET) to
LISTSERV@ricevml.rice.edu.  I tried every address permutation as well
as other Rice machines I know of (like titan).  My mail got bounced
every time, claiming it doesn't know user LISTSERV.  I know my mail is
getting thru to Rice, since I can reach its archive-server@titan.rice.edu
and our mail goes thru UUNET which has a direct link with Rice.

Any clues as to why this is happening?

Also, is there a way to access the sumex archive without being an Internet
site (ie no ftp)?

Please send e-mail responses.

**Roger Kaplan      kaplanr@shearson.com   ...!uunet!slcpi!kaplanr
Shearson Lehman Hutton  (an AMEX company)   New Yawk, NY

Disclaimer: Neither AMEX nor SLH has anything to do with my postings.

jem@hpisod2.HP.COM (Jim McCauley) (02/03/90)

Please post responses to the message that heads this string.
       ^^^^
I can't get through to the Rice listserver either, even after much
black-magicking of the address.

Jim McCauley
jem@hpulpcu3.hp.com

drew@cup.portal.com (Andrew E Wade) (02/04/90)

The following works for me:  mail to listserv@icsa.rice.edu.  Content
of message should be one request per line and nothing else; e.g.,
$MACARCH GET $MACARCH.CONTENTS
$MACARCH GET VIRUS/GATEKEEPER-111.HQX

etc.  Note that they limit you to < 256KB /day.
-Drew Wade
Objectivity, Inc.
800 El Camino Real, 4th Floor
Menlo Park, CA  94025
(415) 688-8000
fax:  (415) 325-0939
email: drew@objy.com

garym@telesoft.com (Gary Morris @nova) (02/08/90)

In article <16880006@hpisod2.HP.COM>, jem@hpisod2.HP.COM (Jim McCauley) writes:
> I can't get through to the Rice listserver either, even after much
> black-magicking of the address.

Amazing how many different net addresses people have for Rice, I use:

	listserv@rice.bitnet

It works fine for me.
--GaryM
--
Gary Morris      {uunet,ucsd}!telesoft!garym       TeleSoft
N6FRT            garym@telesoft.com                San Diego, CA, USA