[comp.sys.mac] OzTeX

meggers@orion.cf.uci.edu (mark eggers) (07/06/89)

Some time ago, a message came by about a publicly available version of
TeX for the Macintosh, called OzTeX. This was supposed to be available
on 128.135.4.7 (somewhere in the uchicago.edu domain). I have tried to
anonymously ftp it, but this site was unreachable from UCI. I then tried
it from Notre Dame, connected to the host, but there was no anonymous
ftp available. At this point, I think that I must have miscopied the
address. Could someone please set me straight??

Thanks much - /mde/

gford@castor.usc.edu (Gregory Ford) (07/06/89)

You got the right idea, but you have the wrong number.
try 128.135.4.27

BTW the files are HUGE (read: 6700K or so)...it took my poor mac
about 12 hours to get all of them
* Greg Ford				GEnie:    G.FORD3		      *
* University of Southern California	Internet: gford%nunki.usc.edu@usc.edu *

werner@molokai.sw.mcc.com (Werner Uhrig) (07/06/89)

In article <2194@orion.cf.uci.edu>, meggers@orion.cf.uci.edu (mark eggers) writes:
> Some time ago, a message came by about a publicly available version of
> TeX for the Macintosh, called OzTeX. This was supposed to be available

	on RASCAL, I only have the binaries (in mac/OzTeX); on TANK,
	there are also archives of the files hexed and broken into
	~64k segments.

--
--------------------------> please send REPLIES to <------------------------
INTERNET:    uhrig@mcc.com     (if unavailable: werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu)

barner@udel.EDU (Ken Barner) (07/06/89)

In article <2194@orion.cf.uci.edu> meggers@orion.cf.uci.edu (mark eggers) writes:
>Some time ago, a message came by about a publicly available version of
>TeX for the Macintosh, called OzTeX. This was supposed to be available
>on 128.135.4.7 (somewhere in the uchicago.edu domain). I have tried to
>anonymously ftp it, but this site was unreachable from UCI. I then tried
>it from Notre Dame, connected to the host, but there was no anonymous
>ftp available. At this point, I think that I must have miscopied the
>address. Could someone please set me straight??
>Thanks much - /mde/

Here is the address given in the original posting:

    Name:    tank.uchicago.edu
    Address:  128.135.4.27

I know this works, I ftp'd the files the other day.  You
had better have some time on your hands though, about 6
hours if you need to transfer these babies by 2400 baud modem -
1200 forget it.  And you need a spare 5Meg on your hard drive.
On the positive side the package works quite nice- at least
the LaTex part which I tried- and you can't beat the price.
The dvi previewer however produces text which is rather hard to read.

	keb

.______________________________________________________________________________.
|Ken Barner                          |  The weather is here,		       |
|Department of Electrical Engineering|         wish you were beautiful.        |
|University of Delaware		     |                 -Jimmy Buffet           |
|Newark, DE  19716                   |_________________________________________|
|barner@huey.udel.edu		     |Opinions expressed, derived, inferred,...|
|(alt) barner@vax1.udel.edu          |	!= UD's, EE Dept's, my advisors, ...   |
|____________________________________|_________________________________________|

ins_apw@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Philip Wong) (10/05/89)

Is someone willing to copy OzTeX and utilities for me onto a 800K disk?  I have tried downloading it, but I keep getting some error (and after waiting 4 hours
, I get angry).  So if I mailed someone a disk could you copy it for me?  Reply to ins_apw@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (10/06/89)

In article <2792@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_apw@jhunix.UUCP (Philip Wong) writes:
>Is someone willing to copy OzTeX and utilities for me onto a 800K disk?

Huh?  By the strange way you spelled 'TeX', I'd assume that it is a TeX
formatter for the Macintosh.  Could such things be?  What, exactly, can it
do, and where can *I* download it from?

     << Brian >>
--
| Brian S. Kendig       |  I feel more like I   | bskendig                   |
| Computer Engineering  |  did when I got here  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU     |

robinson@prism.gatech.EDU (Stephen M. Robinson) (10/06/89)

OzTeX is so-called freeware, written in Australia (hence Oz).  It takes
*ten* 800K diskettes for the program and all the related style
and font (cmr, etc) files for displaying the dvi files (not one
as suggested).  It can
be obtained via anonymous ftp from tank.chicago.edu either in binhex
or binary (stuffit) format.  I downloaded it in binary mode to a unix
box with no problem and from there on to an Ether equipped MacII (of
course it took quite some time to download those 600-700K files!)

Regards,
--
Stephen M. Robinson, AI Group, School of Information and Computer Science
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332-0280  404-853-9381/2

ben@tasis.utas.oz.au@munnari.oz (Ben Lian) (10/11/89)

In article <10723@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
>In article <2792@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_apw@jhunix.UUCP (Philip Wong) writes:
>>Is someone willing to copy OzTeX and utilities for me onto a 800K disk?
>
>Huh?  By the strange way you spelled 'TeX', I'd assume that it is a TeX
>formatter for the Macintosh.  Could such things be?  What, exactly, can it
>do, and where can *I* download it from?

Yes, OzTeX is a Macintosh implementation of Knuth's TeX (version 2.0). It was
written by Andrew Trevorrow at the University of Adelaide, South Australia.
But it *does not* fit onto one 800K; try 10 instead. OzTeX comes complete
with the LaTeX and AMS-TEX macros, and is available by anonymous ftp from
a couple of sites in the U.S. I don't know where exactly, but perhaps one of
the U.S. OzTeX distributors could post to this newsgroup? [Walter?]

--bl

Benjamin Lian
Dept of EE & CS, Uni of Tasmania, GPO Box 252C, Hobart TAS 7001, Australia
UUCP: ...!{uunet,ukc,mcvax,hplabs,nttlab}!munnari!tasis.utas.oz!ben
ACSnet: ben@tasis.utas.oz  Ph: 002-202380  Fax: 002-202713

avogel@ms.uky.edu (Andrew Lee Vogel) (10/18/89)

From where can I ftp oztex?  Reply directly to me, I'm sure this has been asked
before. Thanks alot.
andy.

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (02/08/90)

HELP!!!!

  Well, it's not that desperate, actually...  I just ftp'd OzTeX from the site
mentioned in an earlier posting, and after about 2 hours of download time by
modem, it's now taking up huge quantities of room on my HD.

  PROBLEM:  I try to look at various DVI files, and I keep getting this error
message "font:PK-files:<insert font name here>" not found.  I get stacks of
these messages.  The stuffit archive that I got (OzTeX.sit) contained a folder
called PK-files, but it was empty (0K).  Is there someplace to find these
files, or whatever it needs?

  I'm not a TeX person.  I downloaded it in the hopes of being able to look at
files done on UNIX systems (I mean, really, all these slashes and
parentheses... ugh!), but I don't really feel like clicking "Continue" 10
times whenever I read through a document.

  Also, is there no PD TeX program that will print to a non-Postscript device?
I'd really like to be able to print this stuff to my DeskWriter, but it's no
go with OzTeX.  I want a PostScript interpreter!!

Thanks for any help you can provide!

--Mike