[comp.sys.mac] Mail for the mac and smtp

louis@aerospace.aero.org (Louis M. McDonald) (02/02/90)

I know this may have been discussed in one form or another, but
I would like to bring it up again.

Many MacMail to SMTP interfaces have been through Quickmail or some
other product. I would be interested in hearing about efforts (maybe
there is only one or none) to make real UNIX mail and real SENDMAIL
work on a Macintosh network.

My point of view is that not everyone wants/can afford these
commercial systems. It would be nice if /usr/ucb/mail was rehosted
to the Macintosh (with a mac like interface) and sendmail so that
real RULES could be used. I know this may be easier said than done,
but I thought I would bring it up.

--
Louis McDonald		Internet: louis@aerospace.aero.org
The Aerospace Corporation

amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (02/03/90)

In article <65967@aerospace.AERO.ORG>, louis@aerospace.aero.org (Louis M.
McDonald) writes:
> Many MacMail to SMTP interfaces have been through Quickmail or some
> other product. I would be interested in hearing about efforts (maybe
> there is only one or none) to make real UNIX mail and real SENDMAIL
> work on a Macintosh network.

The closest I know of are some efforts (by our company among others) that
allow a Mac to be a parasite of a UNIX mail host.  In short, you get
real live Internet mail on you Mac, but it depends on a smart host (usually
running sendmail or MMDF) to actually do the routing.  Mail retrieval
is usually done with POP, since doing SMTP all the way to a Mac has some
problems (Macs tend to be turned off a lot more than your average mail
hub, for example :-)).

If one were to do a full internet mail package on a Mac, one would probably
pick something a little easier to configure than sendmail, too... :-).

--
Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation

"Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view."
	--Obi-Wan Kenobi in "Return of the Jedi"

randy@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Randy Moore) (02/05/90)

We have just finished a package that talks to Unix machines
using the POP protocol for sending/receiving E-mail.  The Package
was developed for NASA and is free to anyone, providing no
portion of the package is resold.  If you would like more information
send me E-Mail.

R-
Randy Moore
Sterling Software
Internet: randy@trident.arc.nasa.gov

unhd (Thomas J. Baker) (02/08/90)

In article <42156@ames.arc.nasa.gov> randy@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Randy Moore) writes:
>We have just finished a package that talks to Unix machines
>using the POP protocol for sending/receiving E-mail.  The Package
>was developed for NASA and is free to anyone, providing no
>portion of the package is resold.  If you would like more information
>send me E-Mail.
>
>R-
>Randy Moore
>Sterling Software
>Internet: randy@trident.arc.nasa.gov

I would like more information but am unable to mail directly to an Internet
address.  Thanks in advance.

BITNET: T_BAKER@UNHH.Bitnet
UUNET:  unhd!tjb
Voice:	(603) 862-4490