[comp.sys.mac] FTP'ing large files...

shahn@hstbme.mit.edu (Samuel Hahn) (02/03/90)

I am having trouble FTP'ing large file from sumex...for instance, I have tried
to get "Solarian II", but I can't seem to get the transfer right.

After getting all of the pieces of the file, how do you put it back together
again?  I tried "cat'ing" the files together on my UNIX host, but when I
try to convert it back with Binhex, I get an error...and doing a cut and
paste on such huge segments isn't very practical...what's a fella to do?

Thanks...please respond by email...
shahn@hstbme.mit.edu

halam@umnd-cpe-cola.d.umn.edu (haseen alam) (02/04/90)

In article <1990Feb3.000455.5685@athena.mit.edu> shahn@hstbme.mit.edu (Samuel Hahn) writes:

>After getting all of the pieces of the file, how do you put it back together
>again?  I tried "cat'ing" the files together on my UNIX host, but when I
>try to convert it back with Binhex, I get an error...and doing a cut and
>paste on such huge segments isn't very practical...what's a fella to do?

After cat'ing I generally look inside the file to delete all the headers
and then use the right curly brace ( } ) to search for next blank lines.
If it gets to the end then there will be a colon ( : ) at the end.  Else
if there are blanks inbetween, they need to be stripped.  This works for
me and I am not in search for a more efficient way to do it either.

Haseen.

ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (02/05/90)

In article <3196@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> halam@umnd-cpe-cola.d.umn.edu (Haseen Alam) writes:
>In article <1990Feb3.000455.5685@athena.mit.edu> shahn@hstbme.mit.edu (Samuel Hahn) writes:
>>

>>After getting all of the pieces of the file, how do you put it back together
>>again?  I tried "cat'ing" the files together on my UNIX host, but when I
>>try to convert it back with Binhex, I get an error...and doing a cut and
>>paste on such huge segments isn't very practical...what's a fella to do?
>>

>After cat'ing I generally look inside the file to delete all the headers
>and then use the right curly brace ( } ) to search for next blank lines.
>If it gets to the end then there will be a colon ( : ) at the end.  Else
>if there are blanks inbetween, they need to be stripped.  This works for
>me and I am not in search for a more efficient way to do it either.
>
>Haseen.

I have spent the last couple of years FTP'ing and collecting
thousands of files in the ST environment.  When i was a neo
UNIX user.. i was using the standard uuencode and uudecode on my
host.  This meant i had to manually do all the stripping and
cat'ing etc...  a royal pain and prone to errors..  it took the
fun out of getting new code.  Anyway,  what has developed over
the past couple of years and works exceptionally well int he Atari
world is a program called uux ...  it was written by a guy named
Dumas...  it is a uuendcode uudecode that automatically strips
and concatenates your parts.  THe general look is something like
this:

The first part of a file is generally named

filename.arc     or   filename.zoo    depending on the archiving scheme.
I save that file as filename.uue

At the bottom of that file is an "include filename.uab"
put there by the uux program.

The next PART has a begin line with the name filename.uab,
the end of this file has and "include filename.uac"

etc.. etc.. until the last PART has and end statement.

I save the individual parts with the appropriate names
in a directory that has the uue and uud programs.
Then i simply run   uud filename.uue (the first part of the collection)
and the program strips all headers and cats the parts together,
within seconds (2-3) on the average.. you see the arc'd or zoo'd
file....  the uud is NOT destructive.. so you still have all the
individual parts...

Would be nice if mac FTP files were in this format.....!

-kevin
ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu

pa1099@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Mark B. Hanson) (02/05/90)

I thought I'd mention that there's also a thing at sumex called
bhcomb.  I think that it's in the info-mac/unix directory, but I'm
not really sure.  It is used for pasting together large binhex
files that all have headers on them.  It filters all extra stuff out.
I have compiled it and tried it _once_ and it worked fine...

Mind you, I am not advocating the use of this program.  I just
wanted you to know it's there.

mark
cs62a12@wind.ucsd.edu

lef@raybed2.UUCP (LEE FYOCK) (02/07/90)

Someone sent me an archive with the source (and man page) for
the unix utility "mcvert".  It takes any number of binhexed files,
cat's them together, stripping out header and trailer lines,
and de-binhex's the result.  So if you have the files
solarian-ii-part1.hqx, ..part2.hqx, etc. you just say
mcvert solarian*hqx
and it spits out solarian-ii-sit.bin or something along those
lines.  It is pretty good with error handling, and does not
remove the .hqx files.  What you end up with is a binary in the
MacBinary format, which is much smaller than the ASCII .hqx files.

I don't know if it's on sumex, though...

Lee Fyock                             Raytheon, MSD
lef@raybed6.RAY.COM                   Advanced Systems Section
         "The software we write never completes.
          It runs until the chip vaporizes."

doron@cfdl.larc.nasa.gov (Doron Kishoni) (02/09/90)

"mcvert" is on sumex-aim, under - ./unix/mcvert-15.shar -