[comp.sys.mac] Capturing PS source

ARTABAR@MTUS5.BITNET (02/04/90)

I am interested in capturing Postscript source that is sent to a printer
as a text file (so that I can look at the source). How do I do this?
Thanx
Andy

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (02/06/90)

In article <90035.011110ARTABAR@MTUS5.BITNET> ARTABAR@MTUS5.BITNET writes:
>I am interested in capturing Postscript source that is sent to a printer
>as a text file (so that I can look at the source). How do I do this?
>Thanx
>Andy

OK, I'll take it this time...  :-)  Seriously, I think I'll write up a
short article on this topic so I can just "include" it when this question
is asked in the future, but for now...

Assuming the LaserWriter is the current printer, select "Print" from the
File menu as usual.  Before clicking OK, hold down the Command key.  Immediately
after clicking OK, while still holding down the Command key press and hold
either the "F" key or the "K" key.

Either of these will dump the PostScript code to disk, instead of sending it
to the LaserWriter, creating a file named PostScript# in the process.  This file
will probably be in the same folder as the program you are using.

The difference between Command-F and Command-K is that the latter dumps the
LaserPrep dictionary, while the former dumps just the PostScript.

If you find yourself doing this a lot, you can modify the LaserWriter "Print"
dialog to make it easier:

1. launch ResEdit.
2. Open the "LaserWriter" file.
3. Open the DLOG resource.
4. Open DITL #-8191.
5. Using the DITL Menu, select Item Number 22.
6. Select "Open" from the file menu.
7. Into the fields labelled Top, Bottom, etc. type something like:
   Top = 0, Left = 0, Bottom = 30, Right = 100.
8. Close this window.
9. In the upper left corner, you will now see a check box titled "Disk File".
   Resize and move this check box to suit your fancy.
0. Close and save the DLOG.  Now, when you select "Print," you can just check
   "Disk File" and the Postscript file will be generated without your having
   to go through gymnastics with the keyboard.

In addition, if you grow weary of searching for the resulting files, you can
modify string #-8191 [I believe] in the LaserWriter driver to conatin the
pathname of the desired location for these files.  If it is not STR #-8191,
look for a STR resource containing only the word "PostScript" and modify this.
For example, if you have an HD named BigDisk, and a folder on it named
"Postscript" into which you want all these files to go, alter that string to
read:
BigDisk:Postscript:Postscript

So, did I cover all the bases?

<chaz>

                 Chaz Larson - clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu
            "Hey, I'm no Jack Kennedy..." - Flaming Carrot

pasek@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Michael A. Pasek) (02/09/90)

In article <1066@ux.acs.umn.edu> clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) writes:
>[how to modify "Print" dialog, set folder for "PostScript#" files]
>So, did I cover all the bases?

Almost, chaz.  How about:
  Does the checkbox added to the Print Dialog generate a "Cmd-F"-type file or
a "Cmd-K"-type file ?  Is there a way to change it to the opposite type ?

But thanks for the previous info.

M. A. Pasek               Software Development              NCR Comten, Inc.
(612) 638-7668              MNI Development               2700 N. Snelling Ave.
pasek@c10sd3.StPaul.NCR.COM                               Roseville, MN  55113