[comp.sys.mac] 1984 Super Bowl Apple ad

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (02/03/90)

Does anyone have Apple's renowned "1984" commercial on videotape?  I would be
quite interested in such a thing.  This ad has grown in my memory to be some-
thing akin to Citzen Kane, and I would like to reaquaint myself with reality...
:-)

<chaz>

                 Chaz Larson - clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu
            "Hey, I'm no Jack Kennedy..." - Flaming Carrot

kaz@nanovx.UUCP (Mike Kazmierczak) (02/06/90)

In article <1061@ux.acs.umn.edu> clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) writes:
>Does anyone have Apple's renowned "1984" commercial on videotape?  I would be
anxious to get a copy of it myself.  I'll send a tape and $$.
Mike Kazmierczak -- X Systems -- INTERNET: kaz%nanovx.UUCP@gatech.edu
UUCP: gatech!nanovx!kaz

bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Ron Bannon) (02/06/90)

In article <1061@ux.acs.umn.edu> clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) writes:
>Does anyone have Apple's renowned "1984" commercial on videotape?  I would be
>quite interested in such a thing.  This ad has grown in my memory to be some-
>thing akin to Citzen Kane, and I would like to reaquaint myself with reality...
               ^^^^^^^^^^^
1984, no?

Then again I have not seen the add in a long time.

Ron Bannon
bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Is George Bush a traitor? Read "October Surprise" by Honegger. Send for details.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

erci18@castle.ed.ac.uk (A J Cunningham) (02/06/90)

>In article <1061@ux.acs.umn.edu> clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) writes:
>>Does anyone have Apple's renowned "1984" commercial on videotape?  I would be
>>quite interested in such a thing.  This ad has grown in my memory to be some-
>>thing akin to Citzen Kane, and I would like to reaquaint myself with reality...

	The advert is available on video (at least in the UK) along with
a documentary describing the making of the advert in London. (I think it
was directed by Ridley Scott). If enough people are interested I can
find the name of the company that distributes the tape.
		Tony

--
Tony Cunningham, Edinburgh University Computing Service. erci18@castle.ed.ac.uk

	"If the thunder don't get ya then the lightnin' will."

bernard@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Bernie Bernstein) (02/08/90)

In article <2042@castle.ed.ac.uk> erci18@castle.ed.ac.uk (A J Cunningham) writes:
>>In article <1061@ux.acs.umn.edu> clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) writes:
>>>Does anyone have Apple's renowned "1984" commercial on videotape?  I would be
>>>quite interested in such a thing.  This ad has grown in my memory to be some-
>>>thing akin to Citzen Kane, and I would like to reaquaint myself with reality...
>
>	The advert is available on video (at least in the UK) along with
>a documentary describing the making of the advert in London. (I think it

A few years ago, when I worked at an Apple dealer, the store had a copy of
the video tape.  I believe all dealers at the time were given a copy.
You should ask your local dealer that was around at the time that the tape
was distributed by Apple.  They probably have it somewhere in their back
room or old Apple promos.

      o,  ,,   ,      | Bernie Bernstein                      | ,    ,,
      L>O/  \,/ \    ,| University of Colorado at boulder     |/ \,,/  \
     O./  '  / . `, / | office: (303) 492-1218                |     / ` \  ,.
    ,/   /  ,      '  | email: bernard@boulder.colorado.edu   | /        ''  \

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (02/09/90)

There is also another very funny Apple add (Apple UK?), where there is
a roomfull of 1800's telegraph operators transcribing messages
furiously.  Someone runs in and yells,

	"Alexander Graham Bell has invented the telephone!"

Everyone looks up in horror and disbelief, realizing their
livelihood's days are numbered.

Then we cut to a room of 1960's -looking secretaries, typing furiously,
with a cruel boss pacing the aisles.  Someone runs in and yells,

	"Apple has invented the macintosh!"

Every secretary looks up with the same expression of horror and
disbelief!