[comp.sys.mac] RTF interchange format

thompson@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Todd Thompson) (02/02/90)

Is the RTF interchange format a proprietary format or is it public and
widely used?  I've been told that Microsoft Word uses it, but I don't know
any more about it.  Could someone fill in the gaps for me?  TIA.

Todd Thompson

neilh@microsoft.UUCP (Neil HOOPMAN) (02/09/90)

Article <56511@srcsip.UUCP> thompson@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Todd Thompson) writes:

>Is the RTF interchange format a proprietary format or is it public and
>widely used?  I've been told that Microsoft Word uses it, but I don't know
>any more about it.  Could someone fill in the gaps for me?  TIA.

RTF is "Rich Text Format".  It's a text format that retains all of the
formatting of a Word document.  RTF is used by several programs (including
Word) to exchange formatted information without having to read each program's
binary file format.  If you need to write a program to read formatted Word
files, RTF is the way to go.

You can get the complete RTF description from Microsoft Product Support.
Give them a call at 206-454-2030.

Hope that's what you wanted; if not, let me know!

--Neil

------------ Neil Hoopman - Microsoft -- uunet!microsoft!neilh -------------
    "Carpe Diem.  Seize the day.  Make your lives extraordinary."  - DPS
------------- Microsoft owns the keyboard.  I own the fingers. -------------