[comp.sys.mac] Looking for Mac ``mahjongg'' - lost mail/responses

ctne_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Chris Newbold) (02/03/90)

I posted here a little while ago asking if anyone had or had seen a mahjongg-
like game for the Mac.  I received many e-mail replies, about shanghi and
gunshy.  Two people, Todd Sellers and Ned Horvath, responded that they
either had demo versions of shanghi 2.0, or a copy of gunshy.  I e-mailed,
asking if they could mail me the files.  I have not heard anything, and am
beginning to wonder if my mail jumped to hyperspace.

If either of you read this, could you please mail me the programs?  I received
you mail without problems, so it should work.  If you've already received
my mail, and just haven't had the chance to respond, I apologize.  There is no
rush.

Sorry for posting this to the entire group.  E-mail responses please, I don't
read comp.mac...

--
University of Rochester	*  		  will screw it up."		     *
Disclaimer: "All warranties expire upon payment of invoice."
ctne_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu * uhura.cc.rochester.edu!ctne_ltd@uunet

taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) (02/06/90)

Chris Newbold writes that:

> I posted here a little while ago asking if anyone had or had seen a
> mahjongg-like game for the Mac.  I received many e-mail replies, about
> shanghi and gunshy.

Pet Peeve: Shanghai, and the PD implementation GunShy ARE NOT MAHJONGG!

In fact, the only vague similarity that they have with MahJongg is
that they happen to use the same tiles.  Please do not confuse the
"concentration" style pairing game with the complex and interesting
multiplayer gambling game as found throughout China, Japan and even
here in the United States.

	... and now, back to your regularly scheduled news ...

						-- Dave Taylor
Intuitive Systems
Mountain View, California

taylor@limbo.intuitive.com    or   {uunet!}{decwrl,apple}!limbo!taylor

chou@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Chih-Hsiang Chou) (02/09/90)

In article <377@limbo.Intuitive.Com> taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) writes:

>Pet Peeve: Shanghai, and the PD implementation GunShy ARE NOT MAHJONGG!
>
>In fact, the only vague similarity that they have with MahJongg is
>that they happen to use the same tiles.  Please do not confuse the
>"concentration" style pairing game with the complex and interesting
>multiplayer gambling game as found throughout China, Japan and even
>here in the United States.

	You are right that Mahjong (or Mahjongg) originally refers to
the 4-player gambling game. The confusion, as far as I know, has arisen
ever since someone wrote a public domain version of Shanghai for the
Sun workstation and named it Mahjongg, at least three years ago.

	To add more confusion, there is in fact a Mahjongg gambling game
available for the IBM PC and compatibles. It is called "Taiwan Mahjongg".
Please don't ask me how to acquire it as I don't know neither.
--
Chih-Hsiang Chou	chou@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu
Department of Computer Science