[comp.sys.mac] Windows 3.0: Coming of age

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (01/20/90)

Today I got my first look at Windows 3.0 for MS-DOS.  It is a very impressive
product.  The applications are still a little lacking for it, but I would
expect that situation will change very rapidly.

This version feels more like the Mac (although it still isn't as comfortable
to me as a user).  The "Program Manager" is much more like the Finder.
The buttons and controls are three-dimensional like the NeXT (when is Apple
going to do this?).  The icons are full-color.

It looks like all of the pictures I have seen of the Presentation Manager.

Now I would like to see System 7.0.  I would hope that Apple has something
to vault back into the lead, because it looks like Windows has basically
caught up (as far as the user is concerned).

I'm sure many will disagree with this.  But you have to see Windows 3.0 before
your final judgement.

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

m1tdg00@fsrcs1.fed.frb.gov (Taegan D. Goddard) (01/23/90)

Just like I've always said... The PC systems let you choose:

	Windows or A:\> ....?

With version 3 of Windows out, there will soon be little reason to use a
Macintosh (with its inflated price.)

O.K., 'nuff said.

Taegan Goddard
Washington, DC

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (01/24/90)

In article <M1TDG00.90Jan23134505@fsrcs1.fed.frb.gov> m1tdg00@fsrcs1.fed.frb.gov (Taegan D. Goddard) writes:

>Just like I've always said... The PC systems let you choose:
>
>	Windows or A:\> ....?
>
>With version 3 of Windows out, there will soon be little reason to use a
>Macintosh (with its inflated price.)

Grrr.....

Just about any machine can try to look like a Macintosh.  Some of them do it
better than others.  You can use X Windows on a VAX if you want to look like a
Mac.  One salient point, though:  the Mac's goodies are in ROM.  ROM is fast.
ROM is consistent.  ROM doesn't eat up RAM.  My MicroVax pulls ~1.2Mb of code
across the net to start X Windows.  The Mac goes "bing".

The point is this:  The Mac was designed to be friendly. The IBM wasn't.  If
you want an unfriendly machine consuming gobs of memory and processor
horsepower to look friendly, then be my guest.

--Mike

Disclaimer: I think that disclaimers are an incredibly sad statement about our
society.  Nonetheless, nothing that I say can or should be construed as having
been said by anyone.  Ever.

ifal460@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Mike Godwin) (01/25/90)

In article <M1TDG00.90Jan23134505@fsrcs1.fed.frb.gov> m1tdg00@fsrcs1.fed.frb.gov (Taegan D. Goddard) writes:

>Just like I've always said... The PC systems let you choose:
>
>	Windows or A:\> ....?
>
>With version 3 of Windows out, there will soon be little reason to use a
>Macintosh (with its inflated price.)
>
>O.K., 'nuff said.
>
>Taegan Goddard
>Washington, DC

Heh. With this kind of analysis at the Fed, is it any wonder our economy's
in the kind of shape it's in?

The slickest conceivable version of Windows is only a millimeter deep
in comparison to the Mac interface. After all, with most PC applications
running under Windows, you open up the program, and you time-travel back
to 1981 America.

--Mike

Mike Godwin   UT Law School  | "... and first I put my arms around him yes
mgodwin@rpp386.cactus.org    |  and drew him down to me so he could feel my
(512) 346-4190               |  breasts all perfume yes and his heart was
cs.utexas.edu!rpp386!mgodwin |  going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes."

mbrown@osf.org (Mark Brown) (02/09/90)

In article <M1TDG00.90Jan23134505@fsrcs1.fed.frb.gov>,
m1tdg00@fsrcs1.fed.frb.gov (Taegan D. Goddard) writes:

> Just like I've always said... The PC systems let you choose:
> 	Windows or A:\> ....?
> With version 3 of Windows out, there will soon be little reason to use a
> Macintosh (with its inflated price.)

yano, there's a lot of old vaporware adverts I have that all say something
similar...

Essentially, Windows is icing on top of DOS, hence not the real OS, hence a
waste of the (admittedly powerful, not yet available) 486.

Imagine what the MAC OS would be like, running directly on a 486! Pretty
damn powerful, methinks...

Mark Brown   IBM AWD / OSF  |
The Good     mbrown@osf.org |          Shared pain is lessened.
The Bad     uunet!osf!mbrown|       Shared happiness is increased.
The Ugly     (617) 621-8981 |