[comp.sys.mac] Apple Extended Keyboard Problem

rer3@tank.uchicago.edu (richard elliot robbins) (02/05/90)

On several occasions my ADB Extended keyboard has gone dead.
When I reboot, everything seems fine.
What's the problem?

Thanks in advance,

Rich Robbins

rieman@boulder.Colorado.EDU (John Rieman) (02/06/90)

In article <7458@tank.uchicago.edu> rer3@tank.uchicago.edu (richard elliot robbins) writes:
>On several occasions my ADB Extended keyboard has gone dead.
>When I reboot, everything seems fine.
>What's the problem?
>
>Thanks in advance,
I don't have an answer, but it happens to my SE/30 sometimes also,
with a "short" keyboard.  Usually it's after I've gone away and
left the Mac alone for a while.

-john
rieman@boulder.colorado.edu
U. of Colo.

Ed.Edell@f563.n107.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Ed Edell) (02/08/90)

> On several occasions my ADB Extended keyboard has gone dead. When I
> reboot, everything seems fine. What's the problem?

Happens to me- Usually, its the connecting cable getting pulled just loose
enough from the keyboard that does this. One drawback to the 'new' ADB
type connections, vs. the 'old' modular-phone-cable-connection that was
used on the MacPlus and earlier. Most of the time I can just unplug the
cable from the keyboard, and plug it back in, but sometimes I have to
reboot to make it all okay again.       -Ed

--
Ed Edell via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!107!563!Ed.Edell

gdavis@primate.wisc.edu (Gary Davis) (02/10/90)

From article <40636.25D1A07A@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG>, by Ed.Edell@f563.n107.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Ed Edell):
>> On several occasions my ADB Extended keyboard has gone dead. When I
>> reboot, everything seems fine. What's the problem?
>
> Happens to me- Usually, its the connecting cable getting pulled just loose
> enough from the keyboard that does this. One drawback to the 'new' ADB
> type connections, vs. the 'old' modular-phone-cable-connection that was
> used on the MacPlus and earlier. Most of the time I can just unplug the
> cable from the keyboard, and plug it back in, but sometimes I have to
> reboot to make it all okay again.       -Ed

This happened to me last night. It was the first time after using the
keyboard for more than two years.

I have my Mac II and an external hard disk plugged into a switched
outlet bar. I usually turn on the main switch, then hit the
start button on the keyboard. This time I happened to do the
two pretty much simultaneously. Something (the Mac, the monitor,
the keyboard?) let out a loud hum I had never heard before and
the keyboard was dead after the machine booted up. Rebooting
fixed it.

The mouse, connected through the keyboard, still worked when the
keyboard didn't, so I doubt a loose cable was the cause in my
case. Perhaps some kind of electrical surge confused the
logic circuitry (in the keyboard?).

Gary Davis