[comp.sys.mac] Mac to UNIX backup software wanted

mb@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Mark Benard) (02/10/90)

Does there exist a product that will back up a Mac/OS disk across a TCP/IP
ethernet network to a UNIX system (tape or disk)?  I will even settle for VMS
instead of UNIX.

I am not interested in any sort of file sharing product like TOPS or NFS,
just the ability to back up a few Mac's which have local disks and are
connected to our LAN.  And we are running NCSA Telnet, so I know that I can
use ftp to get individual files, but I want something equivalent to doing a
local tape backup (and restore).

Please email your responses.  I usually do not read this newsgroup.

Mark
--
Mark Benard
Department of Computer Science     INTERNET & BITNET: mb@cs.tulane.edu

meldal@ithink.Stanford.EDU (Sigurd Meldal) (02/10/90)

In article <2144@rex.cs.tulane.edu> mb@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Mark Benard) writes:
>Does there exist a product that will back up a Mac/OS disk across a TCP/IP
>ethernet network to a UNIX system (tape or disk)?  I will even settle for VMS
>instead of UNIX.

Here is how I do it: I have a 300 MByte WrenIV, and have partitioned
it into 4 "disks", one of which I use for backup.

First I made a complete backup, and ftp'ed that to a UNIX host where
its backup system took over.

Thereafter, every night RetroSpect automatically archives the changes
of the day to an archive on the backup partition. Later in the night a
UNIX shellscript automatically ftp's to my mac (using NCSA telnet as
ftp server software), and fetches the backup file, using macbinary
representation. If you want to (I do not) you can then ftp an empty
file to the mac, thereby essentially deleting the archive file. The
UNIX backup system then again automatically does its thing.

The whole thing is fully automatic, I have a backup no more than 24
hours old of my most important documents, and I am told if things go
wrong (the UNIX program sends me mail).

The ftp server is password protected, so only the script (or anybody
breaking into the UNIX box and getting the password from a protected
directory there) can access my mac files.

Prerequisites: NCSA telnet (free), RetroSpect (or other archiving
utility, preferably with autolaunch), enough free space on your disk
to handle the archive files.

If you have little free space then you archive only pieces of your
file structure at a time, e.g. out of my 300MByte I keep 80MByte
available at all times, and back up my partitions in chunks of less
than 80MBytes (Sundays: Programs, Wednesdays: System stuff, every day
except these: Documents).

-- Sigurd
Sigurd Meldal
Associate Professor
Electrical Engineering
Stanford University

Hard mail:
	ERL 456		     | Internet:  meldal@anna.stanford.edu
        Computer Systems Lab.|
	Stanford University  | BitNet: meldal%anna.stanford.edu@forsythe.bitnet
	Stanford CA 94305    | Uucp: ...decwrl!glacier!shasta!anna!meldal
	USA		     |

phone: +1 415 723 6027
fax:   +1 415 725 7398