[comp.sys.mac] After Dark slowdown

mr2t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Tod Rose) (02/10/90)

I've been using After Dark for a while and I'm quite fond of it, but
I've noticed some odd behavior.  It slows down any animated save mode
(ie. Starry Night, Warp, Hard Rain, Worms) with a jerky, stop-and-start
action on my SE/30 (6.04, loads of startup docs, running multifinder).

I would have noticed it earlier, but curiously enough the problem goes
away if there are any DAs active.  When I was first using After Dark, I
had the Control Panel open, so I never caught the problem.

Anyone else run into a similar difficulty?

-mike
mr2t+@andrew.cmu.edu

bruce@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Bruce Burkhalter) (02/11/90)

In article <sZovNOG00UhWI3H9ZJ@andrew.cmu.edu> mr2t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Tod Rose) writes:

>I've been using After Dark for a while and I'm quite fond of it, but
>I've noticed some odd behavior.  It slows down any animated save mode
>(ie. Starry Night, Warp, Hard Rain, Worms) with a jerky, stop-and-start
>action on my SE/30 (6.04, loads of startup docs, running multifinder).

This is a problem with After Dark 1.0 when one if the following is used under
MultiFinder: QuicKeys, DiskTop, Tempo II.  Renaming After Dark so it loads
after one of these programs (e.g. "zAfter Dark") will fix the problem.

After Dark 1.1 is also available which fixes the problem.  It is now available
as an updater program by anonymous ftp from rascal.ics.utesas.edu.  It is in the
directory "mac/NEW-in-9002" and the file is called "After_Dark_1.1_SIT_bin".

Bruce Burkhalter
Berkeley Systems, Inc.

werner@cs.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) (02/11/90)

In <21980@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> bruce@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP writes:

>After Dark 1.1 is also available which fixes the problem.  It is now available
>as an updater program by anonymous ftp from rascal.ics.utesas.edu.
				make that:   rascal.ics.utexas.edu

> the file is called "After_Dark_1.1_SIT_bin" in directory mac/NEW-in-9002

	there is also an introductory file, which is text-format.  the
	updater file is 98k of stuffed binary:

 112 -rw-rw-r--  1 werner      98944 Feb  9 22:20 After_Dark_1.1_SIT_bin
   1 -rw-rw-r--  1 werner        600 Feb  9 22:30 After_Dark_1.1_updater_intro

	---Werner,  feeder of RASCAL.