[comp.sys.mac] mystery clock; basic technical information

bard@brigid.cs.cornell.edu (Bard Bloom) (02/08/90)

I just got a Mac SE/30, and have been playing around loading it up with
goodies from the Sumex archives.  I brought home a bunch of things from the
DA directory, and had some fun for a while.  Sometime in the middle of this,
the time appeared in the upper right-hand corner of the screen, and refuses
to go away.  I have tried the obvious-to-a-novice things: clicks of various
flavors on the clock, and removing all files that might sound like "clock"
from the System Folder.  Any ideas what it might be?

More generally, what are good places to find out information about things
like FKEYs, CDEVs, and so forth?  I've downloaded a fair number of them, but
I don't know how to install or use most of them.

Thanks,
  Bard Bloom

wiseman@tellab5.TELLABS.COM (Jeff Wiseman) (02/09/90)

In article <37035@cornell.UUCP> bard@cs.cornell.edu (Bard Bloom) writes:
    [stuff deleted]
>DA directory, and had some fun for a while.  Sometime in the middle of this,
>the time appeared in the upper right-hand corner of the screen, and refuses
>to go away.  I have tried the obvious-to-a-novice things: clicks of various
>flavors on the clock, and removing all files that might sound like "clock"
>from the System Folder.  Any ideas what it might be?

Check to see if you have Moire (the screen saver) in your system folder. Its
default setting when first downloaded has its screen clock enabled and its name
insinuates no clock. This one has confused some people around here anyway.

Hope this helps

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM

Armadillo@cup.portal.com (Russ Armadillo Coffman) (02/10/90)

>Sometime in the middle of this,
>the time appeared in the upper right-hand corner of the screen, and refuses
>to go away.  I have tried the obvious-to-a-novice things: clicks of various
>flavors on the clock, and removing all files that might sound like "clock"
>from the System Folder.  Any ideas what it might be?

Sounds like a very old copy of jclock - one that came with an installing
application that added an INIT resource to your System file. There is an app
called "Remove jclock," but I don't seem to have it anymore or I'd send it.

Use ResEdit to see if you have an INIT called "jclock" in your System file.
If you do, you can boot from another disk (so your System won't be busy -
ResEd will advise you not to edit an open file, but will let you) and use
ResEdit to clear the INIT. You could also just throw away your System file
and reinstall it with the Installer.

Bet that fixes it.

-Russ
Mac Guy
Sales and corp. support whiz
Still looking for MacWork

patten@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Brian Patten) (02/12/90)

Okay gang, this has gone on long enough.  Talk about a waste of net
resources!

The clock program in question (that was the original posting) is called
Dali Clock (or perhaps just Dali).  I believe it is still available on
sumex-aim.stanford, if not there it is on wsmr-simtel20.army.mil.  The clock
performs exactly as was described in the original posting to this newsgroup,
and I sent personal e-mail to the person requesting the information (as was
requested by that person!).  The whole point was to get some information
on a long forgotten piece of software to someone who wanted to find it and
play with it, not to use the net to have a debating match on what
combinations of software might "cause this strange behavior in a clock".
That is exactly what was trying to be avoided in the original posting
(did anyone actually read the original posting?  or did everyone just
jump on the band wagon to have another chance to make silly comments
about things they really know nothing about?).

I would also like to flame the person who made the original posting (I
won't mention a name).  When you received the information you requested
you should have made a posting to thank those who took time to send you
the information, and to let people know that you have the information you
were looking for.  This stops people from wasting their time sending you
information you already have.

I like this net, but I see a lot of meaningless postings everyday.  My kill
file is huge now.  Read the *original* messages people!  See what was
really being asked for and the requested mode of reply.

I really believe this had to be said.  For those of you who hover over
the net, waiting for a chance to flame anyone, don't waste your time on
me.  For those of you who hover over the net waiting to scream
"censorship" think about what you are going to say before you write it.
I welcome intellegent discussion about the abuse of the net, I do not
welcome flames for the sake of flaming.

Brian M. Patten
Institute for Astronomy
University of Hawaii