[comp.sys.mac] Public Folder

joseph@cooper.cooper.EDU (Joe Giannuzzi) (10/04/89)

in article <10174@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>, mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) says:

> As for some timings, Public Folder gets between 4500 bytes/second and
> 5200 bytes/second between two SEs.  Compare that with using floppies and
> tennis shoes...  (This is over LocalTalk.)

This seems like a very useful utility.  Where would I go about
getting it from anyway?  Claris?  Sumex?

| Disclaimer -> Reality is just a figment of your imagination.	|
| Remember -> Spatula City, for all your spatula needs.	(UHF)	|
|								|
| Joseph -> joseph@cooper.cooper.edu OR cmcl2!cooper!joseph	|

jstewart@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ace Stewart [Jonathan III]) (10/09/89)

...could someone please tell me where I can find a copy of this wonder
invention? I've heard so many articles on it, heard it was due to be
posted to .sources, and have heard nothing since. Any help would be
greatly appreciated..  :-)

					Ace

--
| Ace Stewart (Jonathan III)                             |A       /\       |
| Affiliation: Eastman Kodak Company. Rochester New York |      _/  \_     |

hallett@positron.uucp (Jeff Hallett x5163 ) (10/12/89)

In article <972@rodan.acs.syr.edu> jstewart@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ace Stewart [Jonathan III]) writes:
>...could someone please tell me where I can find a copy of this wonder

Anonymous FTP to sumex-aim.stanford.edu.

--
	     Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
      GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414, Milwaukee, WI  53201

bell@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Mike Bell) (10/12/89)

In article <1193@mrsvr.UUCP> hallett@gemed.ge.com (Jeffrey A. Hallett (414) 548-5163) writes:
>In article <972@rodan.acs.syr.edu> jstewart@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ace Stewart [Jonathan III]) writes:
>>...could someone please tell me where I can find a copy of this wonder
>
>Anonymous FTP to sumex-aim.stanford.edu.
>
>--
>	     Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
>      GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414, Milwaukee, WI  53201
>	    (414) 548-5163 : EMAIL -  hallett@gemed.ge.com
>     "Your logic was impeccable Captain. We are in grave danger."

  The one on sumex has the permission bits set wrong .... only the owner
can read it.....

					Mike Bell

Mike Bell                                     CSnet: BELLMA%ERVX01@dupont.com
Senior Engineer                               Applelink: D2747
DuPont Electronic Imaging
Core Technology Group

            Can YOUR mac play FOOTBALL ????

jness@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Joel Ness) (10/12/89)

   Anyone know why when I ftp to sumex-aim.stanford.edu and try to get
/info-mac/comm/public-folder I get a "Permission Denied" message? Or why
this file doesn't have a .hqx or other extension on it?

   I want to check this thing out, but am stymied.

Thanks,

Joel Ness			       		INTERNET: jness@ub.d.umn.edu
Information Services		        	BITNET:  JNESS@UMNDUL
University of Minnesota, Duluth

jstewart@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ace Stewart [Jonathan III]) (11/07/89)

Just out of interest, and for those Claris people who read the ElecNews,
are there any plans to create public folder such that you can nest folders
inside the Public Folder and one could double click on that folder and
subdirect into it? ie if I have the folder Public, and a folder inside
of it called Ace, are there plans such that I can go into that nested
folder Ace and pull something out of it? As it stands, all that can be
done (as far as I know) is that one can transfer the whole folder...

			Any words?   Ace

--

peirce@claris.com (Michael Peirce) (11/08/89)

In article <1254@rodan.acs.syr.edu> jstewart@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ace Stewart [Jonathan III]) writes:
>Just out of interest, and for those Claris people who read the ElecNews,
>are there any plans to create public folder such that you can nest folders
>inside the Public Folder and one could double click on that folder and
>subdirect into it? ie if I have the folder Public, and a folder inside
>of it called Ace, are there plans such that I can go into that nested
>folder Ace and pull something out of it? As it stands, all that can be
>done (as far as I know) is that one can transfer the whole folder...

Honestly, I doubt it.  I'd really like to do another big rev of Public
Folder with better subfolder support, private folders, usage logging,
drop folder functionality, even automatic virus checking (a "biofilter"
if you will), but the reality is that I've got my hand full working on
other things.  Public Folder isn't exactly a money maker for Claris
(though it's goodwill value is substantial) and other work will be coming
first for some time.

Of course, if Claris got mail (real postal mail sent to say our President
Bill Campbell..) that said how much people liked Public Folder and how
it's made them want to buy more Claris products :-) who know's
what might happen ;-)

 Claris Corp. | Michael R. Peirce
 -------------+--------------------------------------
              | 5201 Patrick Henry Drive MS-C4
              | Box 58168
              | Santa Clara, CA 95051-8168
              | (408) 987-7319
              | AppleLink: peirce1
              | Internet:  peirce@claris.com
              | uucp:      {ames,decwrl,apple,sun}!claris!peirce

lbaum@bcsaic.UUCP (Larry Baum) (11/09/89)

Let me join in the general rouund of thanks to Claris for Public Folder.

Question:

When I go access a remote Public Folder and select a (sub)folder I can either
Fetch it or not.  Is there anyway to "open" it up and Fetch only selected files or
subfolders within it.

Example, I connect to John's public folder and find a directory called Documents.
In that folder there is one document I want, and many I don't want.  Is there a
way to just get that one document?

Thanks

--
Larry Baum
Advanced Technology Center

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (11/09/89)

In <73755@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Vampire <gaynor@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
> 	It wouldn't be TOPS, though.  There should still be no writing to
> the "host" folder, and no running of applications.  Just a fancy FTP for
> Macs on AppleTalk, that's all.

	The next neat hack we need now is a Public Folder server for Unix
(in the style of CAP's aufs).  That would be great!
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu (Nick Jackiw) (11/11/89)

In article <6193@tank.uchicago.edu> xdab@tank.uchicago.edu (David Baird) writes:
> Does anyone know if a good hacker can use Public Folder to obtain
> other files from your hard disk when they are not in the Public
> folder/directory?
> David

I haven't disassembled PF, so this is entirely in my imagination. Hit 'n'
now if you like to whine about this newsgroup's volume...

When I'm using *my* Public Folder to communicate with *yours* to download
stuff from your hard-disk, my copy must obviously ask your copy for all
the information on your disk (in that I can't see your disk directly).
*Your* PF knows which files are available on your hard disk for access,
not *mine*, and will always answer with the ones and only the ones you've
made public.

Thus by modifying my version of Public Folder, I strongly doubt that I
could access all of your hard disk.

Now if I modified *your* Public Folder (say, before giving it to you),
that would be completely different.  I'd modify it to ignore the folder
name you'd specified as "public" and instead use the string ":", which
--as mentioned here earlier--gives me complete access to your drive.

On the other hand, once you imagine circumstances in which you, or
gullible User X, accepts systems software from known nefarious disk
monkeys like Sinister Hacker Y,  you'll soon see that Public Folder
is no more potentially hazardous than any other piece of software
in your system folder.

Disclaimer: I have no relation to Claris, Public Folder, or its author,
other than one of remote and platonic enthusiasm.

--
     _  _|\____    Nick Jackiw | Visual Geometry Project | Math Department
   / /_/   O>  \   ------------+-------------------------+ Swarthmore College
   |       O>   |  215-328-8225| jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu| Swarthmore PA 19081

JK3@psuvm.psu.edu (02/13/90)

I'd greatly appreciate someone sending me more info on how to use
public folder than was included in the README file.  We are running
an AppleShare network and are having trouble figuring out how to use
this, especially with the security set-up by the sys. admin. on the
appleshare net.

Thanks,

Jeff Kushner

(jk3 at psuvm.BITNET)