[comp.sys.mac] Jasmine DirectDrive 140 Problem with IIci

agus@sumax.UUCP (Supriatno Agus) (02/13/90)

Is there anybody out there experiencing the same problem that I
currently have with my mac IIci and Jasmine DirectDrive 140?

The problem is that my IIci doesn't recognize my external Jasmine
Drive.  When I connect the drive to the IIci and boot the system,
the IIci then produces a musical tone--something like when it has
memory problem.  I know the drive is fine, because when I connect
it to my IIcx, it operate flawlessly like it always does.

Is there any solution to this problem?  Someone suggested that I get
an internal SCSI terminator.

Thank you for your suggestions and help.

my email address is: agus%sumax.UUCP@beaver.cs.washington.edu

--
Supriatno Agus
Seattle University, Computer & Information Services

sas@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Scott Sutherland) (02/13/90)

In article <1242@sumax.UUCP> agus@sumax.UUCP (Supriatno Agus) writes:
>Is there anybody out there experiencing the same problem that I
>currently have with my mac IIci and Jasmine DirectDrive 140?
>
>The problem is that my IIci doesn't recognize my external Jasmine
>Drive.  When I connect the drive to the IIci and boot the system,
>the IIci then produces a musical tone--something like when it has
>memory problem.  I know the drive is fine, because when I connect
>it to my IIcx, it operate flawlessly like it always does.
>
>Is there any solution to this problem?  Someone suggested that I get
>an internal SCSI terminator.

I had this same problem back in December when I first got my IIci.  I have
2 Direct Drives, a 20 MB and a 100 MB model.  Figuring that I wouldn't get
any help from Jasmine, I didn't bother to call but decided to experiment
a bit on my own first (I never claimed to be too bright :-).

Anyway, I took the 20, backed it up to the 100, and dug in.  Several hours
later, after I had completely ripped out the old driver and installed a newer,
more generic one, it finally worked.  I lost the use of the Jasmine Driveware,
but at least I could use the new IIci which had been sitting dark and cold
on my desk.

Well, running a IIci off of a (rather slow) 20 meg drive is not my idea of fun,
so I decided to get the 100 meg drive working.  I really didn't want to go
through the painfull process of messing with the driver again so I called
Jasmine in the off chance that I might get some assistance.  I was truely
shocked.  I got through to someone in their Customer Support dept. without
any hassle, and he was REALLY friendly and helpfull!  I was told that the
problem was with my old driveware and that a new copy would be sent out
right away.  Sure enough, 3 days later I recieved it and 10 minutes after
that my drive was up and running happily.

Good job Jasmine!  I hope this signals new things to come.
---
These are my opinions, not OSU's, and I have no connection w/ Jasmine other
than being a much more satisfied customer.
---
Scott Sutherland	sas@cis.ohio-state.edu
Staff Software Developer
The Ohio State University, Department of Dance