[comp.sys.mac] Multifinder, MPW and DAs

earleh@microsoft.UUCP (Earle HORTON) (02/10/90)

In article <398@dbase.A-T.COM> cy@dbase.UUCP (Cy Shuster) writes:
>In article <6413@internal.Apple.COM> escher@apple.com (Mike Crawford) writes:
>>[text omitted] One can customize MPW quite a bit, but it is big and
>>bloated, won't run on my "little" 2-Meg Mac at home...
>
>Runs fine on my "little" 2-Meg II at home!  It's Shar-day that I can't
>run... (I refuse to pronounce it "SADE").

     I would pronounce it "Sade," as in "Marquis de Sade," the fellow
who gave his name to sadism.  I do not mean to imply that Macintosh
programming resembles sadism or any other perversion, of course.

Earle R. Horton

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (02/10/90)

In article <10522@microsoft.UUCP> earleh@microsoft.UUCP (Earle R. Horton) writes:
>     I would pronounce it "Sade," as in "Marquis de Sade," the fellow
>who gave his name to sadism.  I do not mean to imply that Macintosh
>programming resembles sadism or any other perversion, of course.

If macintosh programming resembles a perversion, it's masochism.  Maybe
Apple just couldn't come up with something for which MASOCH was a
reasonable anagram.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner

ech@cbnewsk.ATT.COM (ned.horvath) (02/11/90)

From article <10522@microsoft.UUCP>, by earleh@microsoft.UUCP (Earle HORTON):
>      I would pronounce it "Sade," as in "Marquis de Sade," the fellow
> who gave his name to sadism.  I do not mean to imply that Macintosh
> programming resembles sadism or any other perversion, of course.
>
> Earle R. Horton

Of course, if we wanted an appropriate name for debugging on the Mac,
it would have to be "Marat."

=Ned Horvath=

lefty@twg.com (David N. Schlesinger) (02/14/90)

In article <10522@microsoft.UUCP> earleh@microsoft.UUCP (Earle HORTON)
writes:
> I would pronounce it [Apple's symbolic debugger] "Sade," as in "Marquis de   > Sade," the fellow who gave his name to sadism.  I do not mean to imply that  > Macintosh programming resembles sadism or any other perversion, of course.

For some reason, there is a long history of naming Mac debugging tools
with names suggestive of S&M.  This originated, I believe, with Steve
Capps' "Discipline" tool, which checked the parameters to trap calls
before the calls were actually made.  It was continued with Steve Jasik's
"Bondage" package (now named "The Debugger").

I'd have to agree that there's a strong element of masochism involved in
Mac programming, though...

              Masochist: Hurt me!
              Sadist:        No!

          David N. Schlesinger   || "There's a word for it: words don't
          The Wollongong Group   ||  mean a thing.  There's a name for it;
Internet: Lefty@twg.com          ||  names make all the difference in the
POTS:     415/962-7219           ||  world..." -- David Byrne