[comp.sys.mac] After Dark bugs

pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (02/13/90)

I haven't noticed a slowdown with After Dark, but I have found two bugs.
First, if you are in HyperCard and have the cursor in a text field, After Dark
does not blank out that text field.  It tries, but the field always comes back.
Second, if you use the second release of DataPak's Printer Interface III for
the HP DeskJet, as soon as After Dark comes on after printing (or during) the
Mac will crash with a major (no restart option) error.  I don't know if that's
DataPak's fault or After Dark's, or if it goes away with the most recent
version of the Printer Interface III, which I don't have (waiting for System 7
drivers - kind of like waiting for Godot)

Adam   pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

bruce@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Bruce Burkhalter) (02/14/90)

In article <3440.25d7d221@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>I haven't noticed a slowdown with After Dark, but I have found two bugs.
>First, if you are in HyperCard and have the cursor in a text field, After Dark
>does not blank out that text field.  It tries, but the field always comes back.

Yeah we found this out a little late!  It seems HyperCard draws directly to
the screen if the Mac is in 1-bit mode.  The problem does not happen with
Pyro! because they bring up a window when they do their animation and
HyperCard first checks to see if a window is up.  We don't use a window
(for a variety of technical reasons) and HyperCard assumes it is the only
thing on the screen.  It will be fixed but I don't know when.

>Second, if you use the second release of DataPak's Printer Interface III for
>the HP DeskJet, as soon as After Dark comes on after printing (or during) the
>Mac will crash with a major (no restart option) error.  I don't know if that's
>DataPak's fault or After Dark's, or if it goes away with the most recent
>version of the Printer Interface III, which I don't have (waiting for System 7
>drivers - kind of like waiting for Godot)

I have never heard of this one.  You might give DataPak a call and see if
they know about any problems with their drivers and screen savers.  You
also might get After Dark 1.1 (if you don't already have it) and try it
out.  Let us know if we can be any help.

>Adam   pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

Bruce Burkhalter
Berkeley Systems, Inc.

bruce@cory.berkeley.edu
"Somethings going on and I'll probably never get it"