[comp.sys.mac] Resonder name

cattelan@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Russell Cattelan) (02/10/90)

Just wondering if there is any way to get responder to get the name of your
computer from someplace else other than the chooser. I am administering
28 macs and would like to be able to keep the nameing convention constant
instead of having users constantly changeing the name. (mostly because they
don't know any better).

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
<> :-{             :-\<>  Russell Cattelan       University of Minnesota    <>
<>    :-}       :-`)  <>  cattelan@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu                        <>
<>       :-) :-(      <>  {...!rutgers!umn-cs!cattelan}                     <>
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

sobiloff@agnes.acc.stolaf.edu (Chrome Cboy) (02/11/90)

In a similar vein, does anyone out there know of any software that will let
you lock a user's chooser name?  We'd like to be able to set a user's name
once when they buy a startup disk, and then lock it so they can't change it
sometime in the future.  Thanks...
						-Blake

sobiloff@stolaf.edu

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (02/11/90)

In article <11237@thor.acc.stolaf.edu> sobiloff@agnes.stolaf.edu (Chrome Cboy) writes:
>In a similar vein, does anyone out there know of any software that will let
>you lock a user's chooser name?  We'd like to be able to set a user's name
>once when they buy a startup disk, and then lock it so they can't change it
>sometime in the future.  Thanks...
>						-Blake

This is easy.  Using ResEdit, open the DITL corresponding to the Chooser.  I
can't recall which one it is just now, but it's in the System file and is
something like -3999.  In any case, once you've opened that DITL find the
text item that one would type the username into and change it from Editable Text
to Static Text.  Now, noone will be able to change it.  We use this at our
public lab here at the U of M in conjunction with the AShareSponder INIT, which
stuffs the AppleShare sign-in name into the Choosername field at startup.  Now,
The username on all our lab access disks is always the same as the program they are using.

<chaz>

                 Chaz Larson - clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu
            "Hey, I'm no Jack Kennedy..." - Flaming Carrot

Jim.Spencer@p5.f22.n282.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jim Spencer) (02/12/90)

 >This is easy.  Using ResEdit, open the DITL corresponding to the Chooser.  I
 >can't recall which one it is just now, but it's in the System file and is
 >something like -3999.  In any case, once you've opened that DITL find the
 >text item that one would type the username into and change it from
 >Editable Text
 >to Static Text.  Now, noone will be able to change it.  We use this at our

This of course is not worth a whole lot if the goal is to be able to identify users that you don't trust.  It will take all of about 5 minutes for these people to figure out that ResEdit can be used to change the field back to EditText. :)

--
Jim Spencer - via FidoNet node 1:282/33
UUCP: ...!uunet!imagery!22.5!Jim.Spencer

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (02/14/90)

In article <5.25D80193@imagery.FIDONET.ORG> Jim.Spencer@p5.f22.n282.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jim Spencer) writes:

> >This is easy.  Using ResEdit, open the DITL corresponding to the Chooser.  I
> >can't recall which one it is just now, but it's in the System file and is
> >something like -3999.  In any case, once you've opened that DITL find the
> >text item that one would type the username into and change it from
> >Editable Text
> >to Static Text.  Now, noone will be able to change it.  We use this at our
>
>This of course is not worth a whole lot if the goal is to be able to identify
>users that you don't trust.  It will take all of about 5 minutes for these
>people to figure out that ResEdit can be used to change the field back to
>EditText. :)

True, Jim, but I'm dealing here with people for whom a Save dialog is a major
stretch.  I recently had one user ask for help finding her IBM graphics work,
which had seemingly disappeared from her 3.5" floppy.  The disk kept coming
up with "General Failure reading drive A:" errors on the PC.  Turns out she
had tried to save some Mac work on the same disk and had, of course,
initialized the floppy when the Mac suggested this action.  Somehow I don't
think users like this are going to have much luck bringing ResEdit to bear
on much of anything.  8)

Anyway, i think the original problem had to do with just preventing casual
change of the Choosername in a public lab, so that the Choosername was kept
as something more informative to the lab monitor than "Rock On!!" or such.

<chaz>