[comp.sys.mac] Printing to a file?

chuck@Morgan.COM (Chuck Ocheret) (02/13/90)

Three questions:

1. I recently obtained a Mac IIcx but did not get any hard-copy device
because I have access to PostScript printers at work.  My local Mac hacker
informed me that the way to do this was to select OK from the print dialog
and then to quickly hit clover-F.  This worked fine and produced a PostScript0
file as expected.  Upon getting the file to my workplace it was realized that
I didn't have the appropriate PostScript prologue stuff from Apple (the
stuff from clover-K) to get things to print.  So I decided to bring over
a different file (from Microsoft Word) using clover-K expecting that I could
hack out the prologue stuff for use in the other file as well.
However, now neither clover-K nor clover-F work anymore.  The machine
just times out trying to talk to the LaserWriter that isn't there.  What
am I doing wrong?

2. Where is this clover-F/clover-K crap documented?  I can find it nowhere
in my Mac IIcx documentation kit.  The person who told me about it has no
idea as to where he originally learned this.  Possibly from this news
group...?  Noone here seems to know.

3. Does anyone know where to get a really cheap (yet useable) PostScript
printer.  Computer Factory in New York hosed everyone with a false
marketing gimmick where they claimed they were selling used/demo LaserWriters
for $999.  They said, "We'll have them on Friday!"  When doors opened on
Friday they were sold out.  Right.

Please E-mail directly to me and/or post response...will summarize.

Thanks,
 +------------------+   Chuck Ocheret, Sr. Staff Engineer   +-----------------+
 | chuck@Morgan.COM |       Morgan Stanley & Co., Inc.      | (212) 703-4474  |
 |   Duty now ...   |19th Floor, 1251 Avenue of the Americas| for the future. |
 +------------------+       New York, N.Y.  10020 USA       +-----------------+
--

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (02/14/90)

In article <721@s5.Morgan.COM> chuck@Morgan.COM (Chuck Ocheret) writes:

>However, now neither clover-K nor clover-F work anymore.  The machine
>just times out trying to talk to the LaserWriter that isn't there.  What
>am I doing wrong?

Based on your description, I would think that you are waiting too long to
press clover-F/K.  Usually when dumping a PS file this way, the LaserWriter
driver never gets as far as "Looking for LaserWriter..."

I usually do this:
Click on the OK button, but don't let up yet.
Press and hold clover-F/K.
Let up on the OK button.

As far as I know, this dumping to a postscript file stuff is not documented
anywhere.  I also cannot recall where I first heard about it.

<chaz>

gregoret@celeste.mmwb.ucsf.edu (Lydia Gregoret) (02/14/90)

In article <721@s5.Morgan.COM> chuck@Morgan.COM (Chuck Ocheret) writes:

>However, now neither clover-K nor clover-F work anymore.  The machine
>just times out trying to talk to the LaserWriter that isn't there.  What
>am I doing wrong?

Don't forget to turn background printing off from within the
Chooser before hitting clover-K if you are using PrintMonitor.

Lydia Gregoret
gregoret@cgl.ucsf.edu