[comp.sys.mac] Coexistence of MacOS/AUX, etc.

oneill@bass.bu.edu (Brian V O'Neill) (02/04/90)

I have only been working with the Macintosh (specifically the SE) for a few
months now, and I've grown to like it. Sometime soon we hope to get a II,
and I was wondering a few things:

	- Can MacOS and A/UX coexist, or is there a reason too (i.e. is A/UX
	a Unix-type version of MacOS) on the same hard drive, similar to
	partitioning on PC hard drives?

	- We have a large a local Ethernet and I would like to take
	advantage of it. What kind of equipment would allow me to continue
	use of Localtalk for the LaserWriters as well as connect to the
	Ethernet with TCP/IP?

Any help is appreciated...

Brian O'Neill - Local Internet Access Account
Internet: oneill@bu-pub.bu.edu
UUCP    : ...!bu.edu!bu-pub!oneill

oneill@bass.bu.edu (Brian V O'Neill) writes:

>	- Can MacOS and A/UX coexist, or is there a reason too (i.e. is A/UX
>	a Unix-type version of MacOS) on the same hard drive, similar to
>	partitioning on PC hard drives?

Yes. In fact, that's how the standard configuration is set up.

>	- We have a large a local Ethernet and I would like to take
>	advantage of it. What kind of equipment would allow me to continue
>	use of Localtalk for the LaserWriters as well as connect to the
>	Ethernet with TCP/IP?

With A/UX 1.1.1, localtalk support is standard for printing. For A/UX 1.1,
the Appletalk for A/UX 2.0 package can be bought to supply the connection.
TCP/IP is standard in A/UX.

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

Rumour has it that Larry Wall, author of RN, is a finalist in the race for
the Nobel Peace Prize for his invention of the kill file.

davide@cs.qmw.ac.uk (David Edmondson) (02/07/90)

In article <38317@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>With A/UX 1.1.1, localtalk support is standard for printing. For A/UX 1.1,
>the Appletalk for A/UX 2.0 package can be bought to supply the connection.
>TCP/IP is standard in A/UX.

According to my sources AppleTalk was unbundled from  A/UX 1.1.1
and is available as Apple part no. 690-5392-A.

What is A/UX 2.0?
--
David Edmondson

UUCP:      davide@qmc-cs.uucp   or  ...seismo!mcvax!ukc!qmc-cs!davide
ARPA:      davide%cs.qmc@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk  Post: Dept of Computer Science
JANET:     davide@uk.ac.qmc.cs                     Queen Mary College
Applelink: UK0087                                  University of London
Telex:     893750 QMCUOL                           Mile End Road
Fax:       +44 1 981 7517                          London E1 4NS
Voice:     +44 1 975 5250                          England

rsutc@fornax.UUCP (Rick Sutcliffe) (02/08/90)

In article <38317@apple.Apple.COM>, chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:

> TCP/IP is standard in A/UX.
Does this mean that an A/UX machine could provide a mail node to the rest of
the net that a gateway to, say, quickmail could then talk to?

Assuming yes, could anything else (the gateway and/or Apple's fileserver
software run under multifinder on the same machine as UNIX?

How many users can this UNIX have, and how are they connected?  Terminals?
TOPS?

Rick Sutcliffe 	Associate Professor		\ (89-90 only) Visitor
		Computing Science & Mathematics	\ School of Computing Science
		Trinity Western University	\ Simon Fraser University
		7600 Glover Rd.,		\ Burnaby, B.C. Canada V5A 1S6
		Langley B.C. Canada V3A 4R9
	e-mail: Rick_Sutcliffe@cc.sfu.ca OR Compuserve 76475,3406

urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de (02/08/90)

<
< According to my sources AppleTalk was unbundled from  A/UX 1.1.1
< and is available as Apple part no. 690-5392-A.
<
< What is A/UX 2.0?

a) The next A/UX release, based on Sys5r4, which should be available ... ahem
   hard question. Don't think anyone knows that.
b) The 2.0 refers to AppleTalk 2.0, available for A/UX, and not to AppleTalk,
   available to A/UX 2.0.

Disclaimer: I don't know myself if a) or b) is correct.

--
Matthias Urlichs

davide@cs.qmw.ac.uk (David Edmondson) (02/09/90)

In article <296@fornax.UUCP> rsutc@fornax.UUCP (Rick Sutcliffe) writes:

>Assuming yes, could anything else (the gateway and/or Apple's fileserver
>software run under multifinder on the same machine as UNIX?

I think purposes have become crossed a little.  Chuq meant that
that MacOS and A/UX can live on the same disk, indeed you have
to have some MacOS somewhere to boot A/UX but they don't run at
the same time.  Once you have started A/UX you can only return
to MacOS by restarting the machine.  While in A/UX you can run
one Mac application at a time as long as it is "well behaved".

As to providing AFP fileserving from A/UX I have been hoping
that Apple would come up with a port of CAP which saved files
as AppleSingle or AppleDouble format and understood EtherTalk.
This would let users access the same files from Mac
applications running either MacOS or A/UX and would let
ethernet only sites to do without a gateway (no ore protocol
conversion).

>How many users can this UNIX have, and how are they connected?  Terminals?
>TOPS?

I don't know the maximum number of users, it's not in the
kconfig information.  A Mac running A/UX is like any other
unix workstation (except it can run mac applications) i.e. it
is expected to be used by an individual rather than being a
time sharing machine however you can log in via serial line
(only 2 unless you buy extra hardware) of the network (NCSA
Telnet is ideal for this).

If you want more information about A/UX go to your local dealer
and watch total bafflement and lack of recognition pass over
his face.  Then ring Apple.

>Rick Sutcliffe         Associate Professor             \ (89-90 only) Visitor
>               Computing Science & Mathematics \ School of Computing Science
>               Trinity Western University      \ Simon Fraser University

--
David Edmondson

UUCP:      davide@qmw-cs.uucp   or  ...seismo!mcvax!ukc!qmw-cs!davide
ARPA:      davide%cs.qmw@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk  Post: Dept of Computer Science
JANET:     davide@uk.ac.qmw.cs               Queen Mary and Westfield  College
Applelink: UK0087                            University of London
                                             Mile End Road
                                             London E1 4NS
Voice:     +44 1 975 5250                    England

ksand@appleoz.oz.au (Kent Sandvik) (02/14/90)

davide@cs.qmc.ac.uk (David Edmondson) writes in article <1610@sequent.cs.qmw.ac.uk>:

      >How many users can this UNIX have, and how are they connected?  Terminals?
      >TOPS?

      I don't know the maximum number of users, it's not in the
      kconfig information.  A Mac running A/UX is like any other

The A/UX default licence (the one you get when you purchase A/UX) is
for up to 16 users. This is not the technical limit though, it all
depends on kernel parameters, memory and so on...

--
Kent Sandvik, Network Ninja         --  Apple Australia Developer Tech Support
{uunet,mcvax,enea}!munnari!appleoz.oz!ksand, ksand@appleoz.oz.au (OR ksand@apple.com)