[comp.sys.mac] Re^2: Pagemaker Duplex Pages?

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (02/14/90)

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) writes:

(I often follow up my own messages for fun.  Don't you?)

>There is a new program, called PostStrip, which showed at the Big Mac
>Show in Boston.  It'll strip pages in duplex form as you want--IT EVEN
>ADJUSTS FOR STAPLE CREEP, which only the most grizzled strip-up artist
>will even admit exists (This is the width of paper crowded out by each
>successive page as you get nearer the center saddle staples).

>Essentially you print-to-disk, then PostStrip eats the pages and puts
>'em out appropriately.  Including the tedious, error-fraught "one with
>seventy-two, two with seventy-one" business that's such a drag.

>The only problem is I *still* (for I have not seen the program) need the
>companies' address/name/etc that makes it.  And my attempts to ask the
>net have returned nothing.

>So: we know what we want, now if we only knew where to ask!

Well, I posted the who & when yesterday, but I just got the how much.
$3000.  Yipes!  Ultimate Professional Publishing Systems obviously
believes there's a market, and it's paved with gold...

...They are selling the PC version (& you have to get program-specific
ones: Ventura, Pagemaker...  ...and there is a discount if you buy more
than one) right now, and the Mac version follows "in about two weeks".

Frankly, at this price (and, no, I didn't ask if this was CDN or USA
pricing--sloppy reporting, I know) I think what they'll do is stimulate
some competition, 'n' have to cut their price by an order of magnitude
to keep up.

Comments?

	Alex