[comp.sys.mac] A/UX third party hard drives

sdodd@apollo.HP.COM (Stephen Dodd) (02/10/90)

A/UX users:
  I've just ordered A/UX 1.1.1 on cassette tape, along with X11R3,
however I still haven't gotten a hard drive. I considered getting
the Apple 80 meg, but was told that with X and A/UX disk space would
be cramped. So in short I'm in the market for a 100+ meg hard drive.

   I already have a internal 40 mag in my SE/30, and I want to keep
that one strictly for MacOS type stuff. I've looked around for a
third party drives, but I'm not sure what to get. The type of drive
I'd like to get is an external zero foot print with a 3.5" mechnism,
with software that will format it for a boot configuration.

           Some of the drives I'm considering are:

                     SuperMac DataFrameXP100 (not a zero footprint)
                     MicronNet 100
                     GCC UltraS 100
                     Mirror 100P
                     LaCie 100

      Can anyone give me some ideas on what to get. I'm open for
any suggestions.

root@brain.UUCP (Chuck Shotton) (02/12/90)

I've got A/UX running on an external LaCie 105. LaCie's partitioning software, Silver-
Lining, is probably the most flexible package available. It allows you to create extra
Unix partitions in any combination to take advantage of the entire disk. Initially, A/UX
wants to install into partitions that occupy 80 meg or so (thinks everything is a 80
meg drive). You can use SilverLining to add additional /usr partitions that can be
mounted and used transparently.

Besides, you can't beat their 5 year warrantee....

Chuck Shotton
cshotton@girch1.hsch.utexas.edu
...!buster!brain!root

kempf@tci.bell-atl.com (Cory Kempf) (02/13/90)

sdodd@apollo.HP.COM (Stephen Dodd) writes:

>A/UX users:
>  I've just ordered A/UX 1.1.1 on cassette tape, along with X11R3,
>however I still haven't gotten a hard drive. I considered getting
>the Apple 80 meg, but was told that with X and A/UX disk space would
>be cramped. So in short I'm in the market for a 100+ meg hard drive.

>           Some of the drives I'm considering are:
>
>                     LaCie 100

I have a LaCie 600MB disk at home... it is running A/UX and MacOS.
The software that they provide works rather well... it will set up the
'standard' A/UX partition set, allow you to customize the partitions,
and has support for the A/UX partitions (the non-standard ones).
Unfortunately, there software has a rather minor bug -- you can't set
up an A/UX partition with an arbitrary name.  (this can be easily
worked around)  Other than that, I am happy with the software.

They also provide MacOS disk share software and promise to send you a
free printer share program when the write it... someday...
Unfortunately, they don't have a disk share program for A/UX <--> Mac
file shareing.  sigh.

+C
--
Cory Kempf		Technology Concepts	     phone: (508) 443-7311 x341
uucp:	{anywhere}!uunet!tci!kempf, kempf@tci.bell-atl.com

consp22@bingsune.cc.binghamton.edu (Darren Handler) (02/14/90)

Apple makes a 160 Meg hard drive that you can buy. It is very fast and got
good reveiws. (I am pretty sure)

|  Consp22@Bingsuns.pod.binghamton.edu  |  SUNY-B Computer Consultants -      |
|  Consp22@Bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu   |  Trying to keep the world safe from |
|  System Consultant - World Computers  |-------------------------------------|
|  Computer Cons. - SUNY Binghamton     |     Darren `Mac Hack' Handler       |
I don't know if I am going to heaven or hell, I just hope God grades on a curve