[comp.sys.mac] Terminal Softeare

cantie@sybil.cs.Buffalo.EDU (Bruce Cantie) (02/13/90)

	I am looking for a good terminal program that takes advantage of the
larger screens that the II's have. I use both kermit and RedRyder, but neither
one will allow me to enlarge the window so that it takes up the entire screen.
A non-sharware program is ok with me (I don't mind paying for something that
will do what I want). It must be, at a minimum, VT100 or higher.

	Thanks for the help.

Bruce Cantie              Internet:  cantie@cs.Buffalo.EDU
LAN Systems               uucp:      ..!{boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!cantie
301 Computing Center      BITNET:    cantie@sunybcs.BITNET
University Of Buffalo     BITNET:    LSBRUCE@UBVMS.BITNET

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (02/13/90)

In article <17470@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> cantie@sybil.cs.Buffalo.EDU.UUCP (Bruce Cantie) writes:

|	I am looking for a good terminal program that takes advantage of the
|larger screens that the II's have. I use both kermit and RedRyder, but neither
|one will allow me to enlarge the window so that it takes up the entire screen.

Check out Versaterm.  Excellent VT100 emulation (and others which I
don't use), and on a standard Mac II 13" monitor you can have a 24x80
character window using most of the screen with a larger font, or you
can use a smaller font and have whatever width and height fits the
screen.  A three-month-old MacConnection ad shows it selling for $89
(plus $3 shipping).

I am a satisfied user of Versaterm 3.2 with no other connection to the
product or its author and publisher.

	/JBL
=
Nets: levin@bbn.com  |  "There were sweetheart roses on Yancey Wilmerding's
 or {...}!bbn!levin  |  bureau that morning.  Wide-eyed and distraught, she
POTS: (617)873-3463  |  stood with all her faculties rooted to the floor."

wiseman@tellab5.TELLABS.COM (Jeff Wiseman) (02/14/90)

In article <17470@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> cantie@sybil.cs.Buffalo.EDU.UUCP (Bruce Cantie) writes:

>	I am looking for a good terminal program that takes advantage of the
>larger screens that the II's have. I use both kermit and RedRyder, but neither
>one will allow me to enlarge the window so that it takes up the entire screen.

Try the most recent version of ZTerm (I think .85). It will allow you to use
the monaco 12 point font giving a larger window. Also, you can set the window
to any size you want.

Hope this helps

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (02/14/90)

In article <52138@bbn.COM>, levin@bbn (Joel B Levin) writes:
>Check out Versaterm.  Excellent VT100 emulation (and others which I
>don't use), and on a standard Mac II 13" monitor you can have a 24x80
>character window using most of the screen with a larger font, or you
>can use a smaller font and have whatever width and height fits the
>screen.  A three-month-old MacConnection ad shows it selling for $89
>(plus $3 shipping).
>
>I am a satisfied user of Versaterm 3.2 with no other connection to the
>product or its author and publisher.

I second the recommendation.  Especially if you don't need the
full-blown Tektronix support in Versaterm-PRO, it's a steal at about
$90 mailorder.

There's a v4.1 shipping soon, with full support for the Comm. Toolbox
(it's included), as well as VT220 emulation, including double-high,
double-width characters and a menu for the function keys (useful to
those who don't have the Saratoga keyboard).

I've been using it for years, and have never had a problem or
complaint.  Support is excellent, upgrades ship regularly and are
reasonably priced (the 4.1 upgrade was $20 for new software and new
manuals, shipping included).  And I don't have to suffer the "Scott's
just uploaded the latest version of White Knight to Genie to fix 12
bugs that should have been found in beta-test" syndrome.

The only drawback Versaterm has is that it does not yet support ZMODEM
(although it does support YMODEM and Kermit for text/binary/MacBinary
transfers).  This hasn't been a problem for me, since I use Ray Lau's
excellent QuickB DA when dealing with CServe.  But I could imagine
that it might be a drawback for others.

Someone else posted that Versaterm crashed once an hour; you should
call Synergy and describe the hardware/software combination you're
running it on.  I've never had Versaterm crash or bomb in any way, and
I run with all sorts of crazy INITs and cdevs.

Standard disclaimer:  I'm just a very satisfied customer.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."