[comp.sys.mac] Symantec SUM II TuneUp

gcrum@koh-sun1.usc.edu (Gary Crum) (02/14/90)

The Optimize Volume function of SUM TuneUp 2.0 fails, reporting only:
	Unexpected error, cancelled. D 1
when run to optimize a partition (created by UniMac Storware) of my
Seagate ST277N-1.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?  The complete TuneUp log is
attached.  I hope people at Symantec or Micro Analyst knowledgable
about SUM II TuneUp watch this group besides officially being on
Compuserve.

Thanks,
Gary

TuneUp log:
Volume -> a

Tue, Feb 13, 1990  8:12 PM

Optimize Volume

Requested contiguous space 17577 K
Total free space available 17577 K
Contiguous available at start 8584 K

Space to move 33441 K
Unexpected error, cancelled. D 1

Optimize Volume  DONE

TuneUp  DONE

jay@ut-emx.UUCP (Jay Boisseau) (02/15/90)

In article <GCRUM.90Feb13193033@koh-sun1.usc.edu>, gcrum@koh-sun1.usc.edu (Gary Crum) writes:
> The Optimize Volume function of SUM TuneUp 2.0 fails, reporting only:
> 	Unexpected error, cancelled. D 1
> when run to optimize a partition (created by UniMac Storware) of my
> Seagate ST277N-1.
>
> Has anyone else encountered this problem?

I get the same error, and I just have a standard Apple internal HD 20.  It
finishes de-fragmenting the files, and then gives the aforementioned error
when trying to tune.

Jay Boisseau

gcrum@koh-sun2.usc.edu (Gary Crum) (02/15/90)

Thanks for the replies.  The TuneUp optimize function worked for me
after I repaired my volume using the Disk First Aid program that came on
my System 6.0.4 Macintosh Utilities Disk 2.  The SUM II Quick Fix program
was not able to repair the volume as Disk First Aid did, by the way.
This makes me appreciate the UNIX fsck (and preen) tools along with the
virus protection that comes with protection and user IDs.

Gary