[comp.sys.mac] Geneology

hcj@lzsc.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (02/07/90)

Previously posted: but it seems to have been swallowed by the net Gods.

I am looking for a good geneology (family tree) program.
Anyone out there use one or more of them, and if so, what
are your opinions of:
	ease of entry
	ability to edit or add to existing entries
	outputs

Thank you

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
=====NEW address====
att!lzsc!hcj
hcj@lzsc.att.com

blake@uns-helios.nevada.edu (RAWLIN BLAKE) (02/10/90)

In article <1272@lzsc.ATT.COM> hcj@lzsc.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) writes:
>I am looking for a good geneology (family tree) program.
>Anyone out there use one or more of them, and if so, what
>are your opinions of:
>	ease of entry
>	ability to edit or add to existing entries
>	outputs
>
>Thank you

The best package I am aware of is PAF from the LDS church.  Not only
is it very powerful, but it has a excellent manual, and is CHEAP!!

PAF may be ordered from:

Salt Lake Distribution Center
1999 West 1700 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84104

1-800-537-5950   (credit card orders)

Price is $35.00 including shipping and handling

PAF is available in Macintosh and MSDOS (both 3.5" and 5.25" formats)
Specify disk size when ordering.

The manual for this package is excellent. However, if you have any
questions there are phone numbers in the front of the manual to call,
or you could look up the local Family History Library (Center) in your
phone book under Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  If they
are anything like the center here (Las Vegas), the volunteers there
will know of people who can answer just about any question you can
think of.

If you have any more questions, or need more help in acquiring the
package please feel free to contact me again and I will help you in
any way I can.

	Rawlin Blake     <blake@nevada.edu>

leverich@randvax.UUCP (Brian Leverich) (02/15/90)

In article <1272@lzsc.ATT.COM> hcj@lzsc.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) writes:

>I am looking for a good geneology (family tree) program.
>
>Howard C. Johnson

There are many genealogy packages available.  There are several tolerable
PD packages out there, but for $35 you can buy a first-rate package called
Personal Ancestral File (PAF) that the Mormon Church publishes.  You can
order by phone - call the Latter Day Saints' Family History Library in
Salt Lake City and they can probably direct you to the right people.

(The Mormons are heavy into genealogy for religious reasons, but they are
remarkably nice about helping all us J. Random family historians, too...)

COMMSOFT up in the Bay Area somewhere publishes Roots III, which is arguably
the cadillac of genealogy packages.  If you buy it from them it will cost
around $300 (depending on what utilities you order), but you can save $50
by ordering from one of the mail order catalogues.

I used PAF until I had about 2500 people on file, then switched to Roots
because I wanted the fancy footnoting and book-generating features it has.
(That's right - Roots III will turn your data into a formatted, publishable
family history...)

Incidentally, you might want to check out soc.roots on the net, the roots-l
mailing list, and the National Genealogical Conference on fidonet.

Happy hunting for bears!  -B
--
  "Simulate it in ROSS"
  Brian Leverich                       | U.S. Snail: 1700 Main St.