[comp.sys.mac] Mac virtual memory

biff@pyrite.som.cwru.edu (Biff Devereaux) (02/09/90)

I have just been handed something called mac_vm.cdv. I believe it is from
apple, and I believe it is supposed to set up virtual memory.  I have an SE 30
with 2 meg. I tried it out and it kept telling me it was "not installed".
I don't have any documentation on this, so any and all insight would be
appreciated.

Biff
biff@biffnet.som.cwru.edu

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (02/09/90)

In article <1990Feb8.190922.3227@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> biff@pyrite.som.cwru.edu (Biff Devereaux) writes:
>I have just been handed something called mac_vm.cdv. I believe it is from
>apple, and I believe it is supposed to set up virtual memory.  I have an SE 30
>with 2 meg. I tried it out and it kept telling me it was "not installed".

The disk space that VM is to use must be contiguous, so run Disk Express or
something similar to defrag the HD before loading it.

<chaz>

                 Chaz Larson - clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu
            "Hey, I'm no Jack Kennedy..." - Flaming Carrot

biff@pyrite.som.cwru.edu (Biff Devereaux) (02/09/90)

Folks,
I appreciated the plethora of responses, and I thank you all.
The cdev is of doubtful legality, and, being one of the few
MBA students not requiring a course in ethics, I will toss it.

Biff Devereaux
(still waitin' for system 7.0)

ROSS.ROBERTS@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (ROSS ROBERTS) (02/15/90)

The memory does have to be contiguous.  I have been able to "try" it a
couple of times on my SE/30, with the same results.  I got it to work with
1 meg(?!?) and had 12 megs virtual, but it repeatedly crashed.  If it
doesn't install properly, it says that Macsbug is loaded at startup.
    "Hi-energy plasma rifle, 30- watt range"
    "Hey pal, just what you see...."

^^^^^
The above statement expresses the views of the individual and does
not necessarily reflect the views or concerns of this place of origin.

--
ROSS ROBERTS via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200!ROSS.ROBERTS