[comp.sys.mac] Hypertext/Hypermedia by J Alfred Prufrock

TMARSHALL01@acad.cut.oz (01/20/90)

Are there any persons out there who have knowledge/experiences of
hypertext/hypermedia documents(experiences) as authors and/or
readers where the creative/learning hardware interface is say
two A4 or perhaps two A3 screens. Does good quality hardware
(and the corresponding enabling software) for an excursion
into the creation and reading of such documents.
I am a rather boring pc clone user -now in middle age -
thinking of areas beyond financial models. Some of the ides of the
hypermedia gurus actually seem so worth trying i may buy a Mac
- not of course informing friends. Reading some of the mags on the M            Mac -delivered to my home in brown paper bags have lately been
full of great ideas on hypertext/hypermedia - however large
colour screens in this arena should give leverage to one's ideas
, the second screen used for tracing navigation or perhaps just more
display area etc. Anyway back to the point!! what do you think of th           the need for such technology. Does it exist (and work well). What
companies offer such hardware. Is the h/w (if existing) good
quality and above all reliable!!! What software exists to exploit
such  h/w. Oh and I forgot -at what price! I know little ofthe
Mac -I have never touched the keyboard or mouse of one, let
alone scanners, digitizers and the like.
Could someone help a character who has spent 20 years on IBMs
Vaxes and IBM pc clones.

Vaxes and IBM pc clones.
Vaxes and IBM pc clones.
etc
Can someone help -
    yours faithfully
 Mr J. Alfred Prufrock
western a
Western Australia.

m1tdg00@fsrcs1.fed.frb.gov (Taegan D. Goddard) (01/23/90)

Stay with the PC for hypertext/hypermedia programs.  Owl for the PC was
first - 1 year before hypercard.  Many more on the way, including Plus
a hypertool for PCs running Windows 3.0.

For an interesting application of hypermedia, check out the PC program:

Liberty!

It's an educational program for the PC (any flavor) on the U.S. Constitution
Requires either an EGA, VGA or Hercules monitor and uses a mouse if one is
available.  The U.S. Constitution is fully cross-referenced and indexed for
ease in learning about your rights.

Liberty! ($29.95) is available from Zephyr Services at 800/533-6666.

For you Mac lovers, a version for you will be available soon.

Taegan D. Goddard
Washington, DC

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (01/24/90)

Sorry, couldn't pass up making a comment about this "see I told you so"
attitude...

> Stay with the PC for hypertext/hypermedia programs.  Owl for the PC was
> first - 1 year before hypercard.  Many more on the way, including Plus
> a hypertool for PCs running Windows 3.0.

I don't mind a person saying something like this, but this statement lacks
any information to back up this assertion.  As anyone can tell you, first
does not equal best.

Coming soon is also misleading.  Sure, there are more Mac hypertext/hypermedia
applications coming too that will be quite impressive.

> For an interesting application of hypermedia, check out the PC program:
>
> Liberty!

How about these for the Macintosh:
    ABC Interactive's programs on the '88 election, Martin Luther King Jr.,
       and the situation and complexities in Palestine/Israel.

I'm sure others can add to these.

> Taegan D. Goddard
> Washington, DC

And have you ever created a hypertext application on a PC?  Many Mac users
can tell you yes, but I have yet to see a PC user that produced anything that
they were happy with.

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

mbrown@osf.org (Mark Brown) (02/09/90)

In article <M1TDG00.90Jan23135507@fsrcs1.fed.frb.gov>,
m1tdg00@fsrcs1.fed.frb.gov (Taegan D. Goddard) writes:

> Stay with the PC for hypertext/hypermedia programs.  Owl for the PC was
> first - 1 year before hypercard.  Many more on the way, including Plus
> a hypertool for PCs running Windows 3.0.

One of my criteria for success of a product is the usefulness of it to
computer users. Where is "Owl"? Who uses it? Where is Hypercard? Who uses
it?

BTW, there are a lot of questions about Windows 3.0 from
[mgodwin@rpp386.cactus.org] you haven't answered yet...

Mark Brown   IBM AWD / OSF  |
The Good     mbrown@osf.org |          Shared pain is lessened.
The Bad     uunet!osf!mbrown|       Shared happiness is increased.
The Ugly     (617) 621-8981 |

ric@netcom.UUCP (Richard Bretscheider) (02/10/90)

>In article <M1TDG00.90Jan23135507@fsrcs1.fed.frb.gov>,
>m1tdg00@fsrcs1.fed.frb.gov (Taegan D. Goddard) writes:
>>
>> Stay with the PC for hypertext/hypermedia programs.  Owl for the PC was
>> first - 1 year before hypercard.  Many more on the way, including Plus
>> a hypertool for PCs running Windows 3.0.

OOPS.  Sorry, but you're wrong here.  Owl International, makers of Guide,
made Guide and Guide Envelopes for the Mac at least a year before it was
available for the PC.  I don't think the even made Envelopes for the PC
(it was their runtime scheme.)  Owl is pretty goofy to work with.  Hard
to keep things straight while you're working on a document and even harder
to debug.  I put forward my humble opinion as someone who was trying to
use their technology for a "big" software company with the assistance of
the president of Owl International.  I was there man :^).

Oh yeah, Plus was/is out for the Mac already.   Is the PC version here
yet?  I will agree that it is probably a better tool for cross platform
work...then again, it's based on HyperCard.

Make mine HyperCard...make mine Macintosh.

--
Richard A. Bretschneider              These are my words.  My employer's
Ric Bret                              words are often spoken in haste, and

kevin@stl.stc.co.uk (Kevin Lewis) (02/15/90)

In article <6942@netcom.UUCP> ric@netcom.UUCP (Richard Bretscheider) writes:

>Owl International, makers of Guide,
>made Guide and Guide Envelopes for the Mac at least a year before it was
>available for the PC.

Guide was originally written on UNIX by Peter Brown at Kent University,
Canterbury, UK. He sold the rights to Owl to produce the Mac and PC
versions. Peter Brown retains the rights to the UNIX version, and is
continuing development work on it.

An argument which seems to be appearing is the "which is better, HyperCard
or Guide?". This seems to be completely futile as they are both aimed at
different areas in the hypermedia field. Guide is _much_ faster than HC.

ICL, a division of STC plc, has used the UNIX Guide program to implement
a help desk system. This system has been very well recieved by its many
users as it is very user friendly (not programmer friendly though). The
system has generated much interest throughout the company and externally,
as people realise the benefits of help desk systems.

Kevin Lewis

Disclaimer: STC plc may not hold the same opinions as myself

Kevin Lewis 				STC Technology Ltd
+44 279 29531 ext 2579			London Rd, Harlow
kevin@stl.stc.co.uk     		CM17 9NA
(JANET)  kevin@uk.co.stc.stl     (UUCP) ...uunet!mcvax!ukc!stl!kevin