[comp.sys.mac] Possible Macintosh Clones??

pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (02/12/90)

I have an idea which might solve the low cost Mac problem and create a larger
Mac market in the process.  It's a fact that a main reason why the PC's are so
popular is that everyone cloned them and undercut IBM in price.  Apple has
always refused to allow such competition by keeping the technology secret (or
least closely guarded).  Think about what would happen if Apple started
licensing the technology needed to produce a Mac+ with the 128K ROMS.

1) A lot of companies would start producing Mac clones that would undoubtedly
be cheaper than the standard Plus, so there would be cheap, low-end machines
for the masses to whet their consumer teeth on.  This would help the Mac gain a
greater share of the market through basic economic competition.

2) Apple would be able to concentrate on the newer, faster, neater machines and
the new System software without having to make as many compromises to keep both
ends of the market happy.

3) Apple would make money on the licensing and on the sale of System software,
which would remain Apple property.

4) As Macs became obsolete, as the SE is rapidly doing, Apple could license the
technology for that machine, and so on.  This would keep the clone makers in
business, but they would always have to be one step behind Apple because Apple
would retain control of the leading edge technologies.  If a clone maker ever
challenged Apple, Apple could either respond to the challenge and make a
better, cheaper machine or cheat and change the specs to prevent System
software from working on the challenger's machine.

5) Apple's reputation would also benefit because there would be less of a sense
that Apple is merely trying to gouge the user for the most money possible
since they have a monopoly on the Mac hardware.

I'm sure that my logic isn't impeccable, but I still think a program something
like what I've outlined above would do wonders for the Macintosh system as a
whole without hurting Apple in any way.  Comments??????

Adam Engst    pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (02/13/90)

In article <3432.25d5c924@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>, pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes...
[suggests Apple license 128K roms for clones]

There are two problems with Apple licensing low-cost clones:

1) Apple could make a lot of money themselves from producing a low-cost
machine.  Now this is assuming they actually will (it is supposed to be
released this year).  Please: no flames about how they haven't; I think we all
know that.  They should.

2) A more serious problem could arise like this: Apple licenses the ROMS to
Chuck's Computer Corp (CCC).  CCC makes a really nice Plus-like machine, and
sells about half a million of them.  But Chuck's machines aren't really very
reliable; they break a lot.  Now, is Chuck the only one who'll look bad here?
No, the Mac's reputation will probably suffer too, since after all, the CCC
computer IS a Mac.

OK, but let's say CCC gets their QC together.  But uh-oh: they either weren't
following Apple's rules, or else they just made a mistake: System 7.5 won't run
on the CCC machine.  So now: Apple has to redesign their System software to be
compatible with CCC's machines (or else screw half a million CCC customers).
A) That's a pain, and B) it's money, money that Apple has to spend to fix CCC's
mistake.

Admittedly, these problems could be surmounted, but I think Apple should do
their own low-end machine rather than license clones.

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

spencer@hydroplane.cis.ohio-state.edu (Stephen N. Spencer) (02/13/90)

In article <7585@tank.uchicago.edu> gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:

>There are two problems with Apple licensing low-cost clones:
>
>OK, but let's say CCC gets their QC together.  But uh-oh: they either weren't
>following Apple's rules, or else they just made a mistake: System 7.5 won't
>run on the CCC machine.  So now: Apple has to redesign their System software
>to be compatible with CCC's machines (or else screw half a million CCC
>customers).
>A) That's a pain, and B) it's money, money that Apple has to spend to
>fix CCC's mistake.

[Robert, I realigned your quote, leaving the content intact.  sns]

Whoa!  CCC designs a Mac clone, doesn't get it right ("...weren't following
Apple's rules, or else they just made a mistake...") and APPLE has to
redesign the computer?

The way I see this, CCC would be at fault, and would have to correct their
machine TO "APPLE'S RULES" so that it would run System 7.5.  Of course, I
am assuming that in CCC's contract with Apple it was stated that CCC would
"...follow Apple's rules..." so that future Apple system software would run
on CCC Mac-clones.

-=-
Stephen N. Spencer      |"For a successful technology, reality must take
ACCAD, 1224 Kinnear Rd. | precedence over public relations, for Nature
Columbus OH 43212       | cannot be fooled."     - Richard P. Feynman
spencer@heinlein.cgrg.ohio-state.edu OR spencer@cis.ohio-state.edu

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (02/13/90)

In article <3432.25d5c924@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>I have an idea which might solve the low cost Mac problem and create a larger
>Mac market in the process.  It's a fact that a main reason why the PC's are so
>popular is that everyone cloned them and undercut IBM in price.  Apple has
>always refused to allow such competition by keeping the technology secret (or
>least closely guarded).  Think about what would happen if Apple started
>licensing the technology needed to produce a Mac+ with the 128K ROMS.

Then they would stand to lose a large share of their market.  Apple
has a monopoly on Macs right now.  If they were primarily interested
in providing a low-cost machine to the public, they would by all means
encourage the existance of Mac clones.  Because they are primarily
interested in making money, however, they want to make sure that no
one encroaches on their territory.  I can't blame them.

>1) A lot of companies would start producing Mac clones that would undoubtedly
>be cheaper than the standard Plus, so there would be cheap, low-end machines
>for the masses to whet their consumer teeth on.  This would help the Mac gain
>a greater share of the market through basic economic competition.

Of course!  Macs would become much more popular.  Lots of little
companies would spring up and offer low-cost Mac clones, and grab a
healthy share of the market.  Apple's Plus and SE would become
drastically less popular against the cheaper, equally-powerful clones.

>2) Apple would be able to concentrate on the newer, faster, neater machines
>and the new System software without having to make as many compromises to keep
>both ends of the market happy.

Meanwhile, other companies would make cheap machines, make money, and
make bugs.  We might see a computer that would be a cross between a
Mac and an IBM, to which you could add all sorts of third-party
boards.  The entire definition of what a Mac is would be out of
Apple's hands.  Eventually, more advanced Mac clones would be created
to rival the Macintosh II.  Apple would suffer by having to bring its
prices for its high-end machines down.

>3) Apple would make money on the licensing and on the sale of System software,
>which would remain Apple property.

And people all over the world would complain about having to pay for
the System software that was once provided to them for free.
Meanwhile, the manufacturers of clones would opt to create their own
hacked System Software rather than have to pay royalties to Apple.

>4) As Macs became obsolete, as the SE is rapidly doing, Apple could license
>technology for that machine, and so on.  This would keep the clone makers in
>business, but they would always have to be one step behind Apple because Apple
>would retain control of the leading edge technologies.  If a clone maker ever
>challenged Apple, Apple could either respond to the challenge and make a
>better, cheaper machine or cheat and change the specs to prevent System
>software from working on the challenger's machine.

What if the competitor makes the better, cheaper machine?  And what if
the competitor makes a perfectly good set of system software that is
designed not to run on Apple's machines?

>5) Apple's reputation would also benefit because there would be less of a
>sense that Apple is merely trying to gouge the user for the most money
>possible since they have a monopoly on the Mac hardware.

And they would be thought of as very nice guys until they ran out of
money and were forced to fold, at which time they would be forgotten.

>I'm sure that my logic isn't impeccable, but I still think a program something
>like what I've outlined above would do wonders for the Macintosh system as a
>whole without hurting Apple in any way.  Comments??????

I don't know what the solution is, but I trust Apple to keep to the
true spirit of the Macintosh.  Compare programs by Claris with hacks
written by third-party companies.  I'd hate to see the same
relationship applied to the Mac.

At any rate, Apple will not easily give up their market.

     << Brian >>
--
| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
|   Systems Engineering, NASA Space Station Freedom / General Electric WP3   |

minich@a.cs.okstate.edu (MINICH ROBERT JOHN) (02/14/90)

From article <3432.25d5c924@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>, by pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu:
> I have an idea which might solve the low cost Mac problem and create a larger
> Mac market in the process.  It's a fact that a main reason why the PC's are so
> popular is that everyone cloned them and undercut IBM in price.  Apple has
> always refused to allow such competition by keeping the technology secret (or
> least closely guarded).  Think about what would happen if Apple started
> licensing the technology needed to produce a Mac+ with the 128K ROMS.
[details of possible licensing schemes deleted
 basically, Apple licenses technology to make clones of "obsolete" Macs, while
 Apple concentrates on great new highend hardware and System software. ]

Nice idea, but not likly anytime soon. Why? Because what apple would basically
sell to the clobe makers is ROM. They wouldn't have to sell anything else.
Now, if I had a reliable source of lots Mac ROMs, I'd be rich. Why? I'd be
making clones, but not just "I'm the same as a Plus" machine. I'd make a
fast 68000 based sucker with all the standard ports, SIMM slotts, etc. I'd
include a real fast harddrive with better SCSI circuitry, maybe even some
DMA (Direct Memory Acces) circuitry on the side. I'd make it cheap. I'd be
liekyl to include a 12" monitor as standard (external, of course) with
optional big monitors. Let's see, all this should come out to about, um,
$2000. Anyone want one? I do... BUT Apple won't give me the ROMs unless I
buy the Plus to go with it. (The price just jumped to $3250. Anyone still
want one?) The TRUTH is that Apple could put together a pretty darn good
68000 based machine, but they have chosen to focus on the 030 architecture and
the Plus and SE, in Apple's eyes (that sounds strange), ARE VERY low end.
If you think about it, the Portable is the only "midend" Mac, as far as
performance is concerned. To introduce another Plus/SE level machine without
any significant price/performance break would be stupid. I think the SE would
have to sell at around $1000 to get this p/p level. The Plus has two feet,
the its left shoulder, and its right eye in the grave. It just can't cut
it, with System 7 "quickly" approaching. Even the SE is doomed. Give it
a year or two  before everyone finds that they can't run any of their
programs without 4MB of RAM and a lot of coffee breaks.
Apple would approve of, unless of course Apple decides they want to lower
their own prices (2/3 cut would be about right) at the same time. Then the
clone maker would say "Hey, I don't have enough margin here!" Oh well,
maybe Apple will be boght out by IBM, and the Mac will become the basis for
IBM's OS/3. (Ugh, I've blasphemed the great god of the garden.)

robert Minich
Oklahoma State University (I just go here, I don't think)
minich@a.cs.okstate.edu

hcj@lzsc.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (02/15/90)

For many purposes, the AMAX (mac on Amiga) and SpectreGCR (mac on ST) are
currently clones.  Just as any other 'clone' maker, these products leave
out the roms to prevent law suits.  It may be that selling 128K ROMs for these
pseudo clones is whats helping keep Apples bottom line healthy.

As long as Apple sells 128K ROMS (or 256K) any clone will play.
What would a "real clone" have to do to get Apple to stop selling ROMS?
And until that happens, clones have a real niche.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
=====NEW address====
att!lzsc!hcj
hcj@lzsc.att.com

ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (02/15/90)

In article <5376@okstate.UUCP> minich@a.cs.okstate.edu (MINICH ROBERT JOHN) writes:
> Apple concentrates on great new highend hardware and System software. ]
>
>Nice idea, but not likly anytime soon. Why? Because what apple would basically
>sell to the clobe makers is ROM. They wouldn't have to sell anything else.
>Now, if I had a reliable source of lots Mac ROMs, I'd be rich. Why? I'd be
>making clones, but not just "I'm the same as a Plus" machine. I'd make a
>fast 68000 based sucker with all the standard ports, SIMM slotts, etc. I'd
>include a real fast harddrive with better SCSI circuitry, maybe even some
>DMA (Direct Memory Acces) circuitry on the side. I'd make it cheap. I'd be
>liekyl to include a 12" monitor as standard (external, of course) with
>optional big monitors. Let's see, all this should come out to about, um,
>$2000. Anyone want one? I do... BUT Apple won't give me the ROMs unless I
>buy the Plus to go with it. (The price just jumped to $3250. Anyone still
>want one?) The TRUTH is that Apple could put together a pretty darn good

You just described an an ATARI ST: DMA port/ 1:1 interleave drives/
can take a simm board (new ones have simms)/640x400 resolution external
and can run 1024x768 on MONITERM.

Why make one for $2000 then buy the MacPlus for another $1200 when
you can buy an Atari like the above with 1 meg for $600 new..
add another $350-400 for the GCR emulator and the ROMS and
you have that "fast Plus" for under $1000.. rather than $3200..
and you get color built-in.. not to mention midi ports....

Apple should be able to do it if Atari can....

-kevin
ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu

hase@hase_1.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (02/15/90)

pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:

>I have an idea which might solve the low cost Mac problem and create a larger
>Mac market in the process.  It's a fact that a main reason why the PC's are so
>popular is that everyone cloned them and undercut IBM in price.  Apple has
>always refused to allow such competition by keeping the technology secret (or
>least closely guarded).  Think about what would happen if Apple started
>licensing the technology needed to produce a Mac+ with the 128K ROMS.

:-)
Ther were a lot of rumors, Apple already licensed the SE custom chips to
some Taiwanese manufacturer on the CeBIT last year.
I even spoke to some kind soul from Honkong, who promised to send me
information about their Mac-clone motherboards.

They sent me information about their PClones...

Maybe, it is true: the clones made the original Apple ][ sell, cause
the larger user base attracted software developers.
Well, in the days of piracy...

Apple Germany is fighting any sort-of clone of the Mac; and they tend to
be unfair, doing it: when Proficomp GmbH sold the "Aladin" Mac emulator
for the Atari ST, Apple (Germany) stopped it by making it too exspesive
for Proficomp to go to court.
Apple Germany tries to stop delivery of the Spectre 128/GCR Mac emulator
in Germany as well: everybody selling it is accused of software
piracy...

Since the emulators are not perfect Mac clones (there is a large number
of limitations in these systems) but good enough to make people Mac
addicts, Apple germanys policy does not make a lot of sense to me.

But I'm only human, and not responsible for a large, profitable company
:-)

hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Lupsteiner Weg 67, 1000 Berlin 37 hase@hase_1.UUCP
Dennis had stepped up into the top seat whet its founder had died of a