[comp.sys.mac] laserprep header for mac drawings in latex

cjchase@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Christopher John Chase) (02/16/90)

We have been including postscript for figures produced on a Macintosh
in Latex documents using psfig. The Mac postscript requires a header
that contains an appropiately modified laserprep file. We have been able
to produce Mac figures using AppleDict version #68 fine (this
corresponds to LaserPrep5.8). However, the Macs here now use LaserPrep
6.0 which contains AppleDict version #70. Now our Mac drawings will not
print using psfig on our Unix machines. Can anyone point me to a source
for an appropiately modified LaserPrep6.0? Or perhaps a source that
would explain how to modify such a beast? (I don't know postscript
myself).

thanks in advance,
chris chase (ee dept)
chase@olympus.princeton.edu

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (02/16/90)

In article <13882@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> cjchase@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Christopher John Chase) writes:
>We have been including postscript for figures produced on a Macintosh
>in Latex documents using psfig. The Mac postscript requires a header
>that contains an appropiately modified laserprep file. We have been able
>to produce Mac figures using AppleDict version #68 fine (this
>corresponds to LaserPrep5.8). However, the Macs here now use LaserPrep
>6.0 which contains AppleDict version #70. Now our Mac drawings will not
>print using psfig on our Unix machines. Can anyone point me to a source
>for an appropiately modified LaserPrep6.0? Or perhaps a source that
>would explain how to modify such a beast? (I don't know postscript
>myself).

Simple, as far as I remember.  Open an application such as MacWrite,
then select Print from the File menu.  When the Print dialog box comes
up, click on OK and immediately hold down Command-K.  This will save a
PostScript interpretation of your file in (probably) the folder of the
application you used to create it, under the name PostScript0.  Upload
this file to your machine, and use the `prepfix' program that is
supplied with the program `macps' (available from Sumex) to munge it
into the correct form.

`macps' is a useful program as well.  Give it a shot.

Hope this helps...

     << Brian >>

--
| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
|   Systems Engineering, NASA Space Station Freedom / General Electric WP3   |