[comp.sys.mac] Inclusion of Postscript into Word4...?

sullivan@msor.exeter.ac.uk (Rob Sullivan) (02/14/90)

After the considerable success that I had with my last request in this
newsgroup I thought that I might pick your brains once again! We are
using a graphics package called UNIRAS that allows one to output files
in Postscript format. I would very much like to include these graphics
in a Microsoft Word 4.0 document. I would be very grateful if someone
could provide me with a step by step guide for doing this. I have
attempted to follow the instructions in the manual but these seem
distinctly brief and I have so far met with little success. I have
included a typical output file from UNIRAS below. This should simply
draw a grey rectangle.....

                            Thanks once again!
                                                    Rob...

%!PS-Adobe-1.0
/m {moveto} def       /l {rlineto} def
/d {stroke} def       /c {setgray} def
/t {show} def         /p {fill} def
/f {findfont} def     /h {scalefont} def
/x {setfont} def      /w {setlinewidth} def
/s {gsave} def        /r {grestore} def
/a {rotate} def
gsave initgraphics
592 30 translate 90 rotate   0.240  0.240 scale
2 setlinewidth 1 setlinecap 1 setlinejoin
gsave
0.300 c
76 59 m 0 1738 l 2895 0 l 0 -1738 l -2895 0 l
showpage grestore grestore
--
- - - -
Robert Sullivan           JANET    : sullivan@uk.ac.exeter.msor

johan@dutnak2.UUCP (02/15/90)

In article <SULLIVAN.90Feb14015532@msor0.msor.exeter.ac.uk> sullivan@msor.exeter.ac.uk (Rob Sullivan) writes:

>After the considerable success that I had with my last request in this
>newsgroup I thought that I might pick your brains once again! We are
>using a graphics package called UNIRAS that allows one to output files
>in Postscript format. I would very much like to include these graphics
>in a Microsoft Word 4.0 document.

We do this by generating an EPS file with UNIRAS. I refer to lots of other
postings for the definition of the format of an EPS file. When you transfer
this plain ascii text file to the Mac, you can readily import it to luxurious
applications like PageMaker, Freehand etc.

There is a DA called SmartArt (I, II or III) from Emerald City Software
that can "reimage" this EPS file: The PostScript code is sent to your
LaserWriter, which returns the bitmap to your Mac. With a simple copy
and paste, you can then import the graphic to e.g. MS word. When printing,
the bitmap is ignored, and the PostScript code is used to generate the
full resolution image on paper.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work with MacDraw. But then again, MacDraw is
incompatible with almost everything!

Johan de Haas     tel. +31 15 785188   E-mail: johan@dutnak0.tudelft.nl
Lab. of Seismics and Acoustics           Delft University of Technology
P.O Box 5046, 2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands

prg@bonnie.ATT.COM (Paul R. Gloudemans) (02/16/90)

In article <SULLIVAN.90Feb14015532@msor0.msor.exeter.ac.uk>, sullivan@msor.exeter.ac.uk (Rob Sullivan) writes:

> in Postscript format. I would very much like to include these graphics
> in a Microsoft Word 4.0 document. I would be very grateful if someone
> could provide me with a step by step guide for doing this. I have
> included a typical output file from UNIRAS below. This should simply
> draw a grey rectangle.....

It does draw a grey rectangle.

1.)	Paste the postscript into your Word document
2.)	Select all the Postscript text
3.)	While holding down the SHIFT key, open the FORMAT menu and
	select ALL STYLES.
4.)	Select Postscript from the dialog box
5.)	Print document