[comp.sys.mac] Lessons in Common Courtesy

scott@spectra.COM (Tim Scott) (02/16/90)

In article <7623@yunexus.UUCP> gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norm Gall) writes:
>ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) writes:
>
> [re crude and inappropriate comments on disliked "crippleware"]
>
>| I think that your reaction and language are the abomination, if you want
>| to express your dislike of "crippleware" thats fine, but I and perhaps
>| others could do without the lower level of language...there are far
>| better ways to express dislike without nasty language, its just not
>| necessary and makes me think less of you and your organization than it
>| does of MacPassword.
>
>Shallow thinking then..... if you've never stubbed your toe then said
>'shit', then I'd suppose you were either anally retentive or your 'mom
>brought you up right'.

Is this your idea of 'deep thinking'?

What I say when I stub my toe I usually have the common decency not
to post to Usenet. Also, what problem do you have with someone's 'mom
bringing them up right'? Do you mean to imply that only anal retentives can
control what they say when hurt or surprised? Or in the case of the
original posting, disagree strongly with crippleware?

>Somehow I don;t think this guy really sent the message out to draw
>comments... only to get something of his chest. If you don't like it,
>ignore him... he'll go away.

This could very well be true: the original poster didn't seem to be
soliciting other opinions.

This is neither the first nor last time Usenet will be used as a
toilet. Maybe there's a value in blowing off steam, but I don't
think it's appropriate for a group like this--move it to alt.flame
But then, it's probably due to my anal retentive upbringing.

Try to remember, there are REAL people reading this net. Is it too
much to ask you to have just a MODICUM of consideration
for the fact that some of them may be offended by gratuitous
crudity? Not everyone is as "enlightened" as you.

>If he thinks that his tirade will actually halt the spread of
>crippleware, he's sillier that you people...

And how silly are we? I guess we can deduce that from the above.

BTW: to prevent my posting from having absolutely no content:
What would halt the spread of crippleware would be the same
thing that halted the spread of copy protection. IMO.

>nrg
>
>"The  mythology  of the  language   machine  is  the   mythology  of a
>technologically advanced society which has not yet  come to terms with
>its own linguistic self-awareness."  			  -- R. Harris

Oh. That explains it. Never mind...
Tim P Scott     . . sending from: Spectragraphics Corp.
9707 Waples St., San Diego CA 92121  [USA]+619-587-6834
Try: scott@spectra.com  or ...{ucsd!}nosc!spectra!scott