[comp.sys.mac] text processing question

fadushin@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Fred Dushin) (02/14/90)

Does anyone out there know if there is a program for the mac that
will grep strings from text files and redirect the output to another
file?  I suppose one could do it with Hypercard, but I hate to
think how painfully slow that would be...

Thanks,
Fred Dushin
fadushin@rodan.acs.syr.edu

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (02/16/90)

In article <2073@rodan.acs.syr.edu>, fadushin@rodan (Fred Dushin) writes:
>Does anyone out there know if there is a program for the mac that
>will grep strings from text files and redirect the output to another
>file?  I suppose one could do it with Hypercard, but I hate to
>think how painfully slow that would be...

Much too slow to be usable.  Get GOFer, a DA that searches for text in
all sorts of files (Word, MacWrite, PageMaker, etc.) and does more
complex, boolean searches as well.  Best of all, it's free if you buy
DiskTop, which by itself is worth the money.

GOFer can save search results to a file, and since it's a DA, it's
always convenient to use.  Fast too.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

doron@cfdl.larc.nasa.gov (Doron Kishoni) (02/16/90)

In article <2073@rodan.acs.syr.edu> fadushin@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Fred Dushin) writes:
>Does anyone out there know if there is a program for the mac that
>will grep strings from text files and redirect the output to another file

There is a DA "Grep-Wc" that would do it. Available on sumex-aim.