[comp.sys.mac] Word/Character Counts on the Mac

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (02/10/90)

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of word processing
programs which provide a count of words and characters?
Also, is there a desk accessory or similar beast which
will count words in a file, preferably public domain?

It strikes me that I took this feature as necessary
in my CP/M word processing programs. If they could get
it into 64K, how come it isn't standard in modern, larger
programs. (I've got WriteNow 2.0, MacWrite 5.0, and
Word 3.0.)

Steve Goldfield
College of Engineering
UC Berkeley

cy@dbase.A-T.COM (Cy Shuster) (02/16/90)

In article <1990Feb9.180700.1052@agate.berkeley.edu> steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) writes:
>Does anyone have a comprehensive list of word processing
>programs which provide a count of words and characters?

FullWrite Professional provides keystroke, character, word, line, and
paragraph counts (Get Info on the File Menu).  In fact we had to
remove this feature from the German version because the keystroke
counts, along with the elapsed time record, could be used to
monitor productivity in some fashion which is against German law.

A "readability" index is also computed, based on sentence and word
length.

--Cy--      cy@dbase.a-t.com

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (02/17/90)

In article <433@dbase.A-T.COM> cy@dbase.UUCP (Cy Shuster) writes:
#>In article <1990Feb9.180700.1052@agate.berkeley.edu> steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) writes:
#>>Does anyone have a comprehensive list of word processing
#>>programs which provide a count of words and characters?

#>FullWrite Professional provides keystroke, character, word, line, and

I'm still getting peppered by Email on this one. Apparently, most
Mac Word Processing programs, including my program of choice--
WriteNow (I didn't notice the option before my posting) do word
counts. They just don't display it automatically as the CP/M
programs I still fondly remember did. So there's no need to
send me more Email, try to sell me software (as some people
have done). I've already got three word processing programs
and am considering getting a fourth, but not FullWrite, as
I got the demo and wasn't very impressed. I'm looking at
Nisus for the vi-type search/replace capabilities and
other features.

Steve Goldfield