[comp.sys.mac] Need Advice for Mac XL

kscott@cca.ucsf.edu (Kevin Scott) (02/10/90)

I am about (actually, my mother is about) to get an old Lisa refurbished as
a macintosh to do word processing.  I would like to have her use MS word,
because it is a program I am familiar with (if she calls with a question).

I would like to know

A) Any advice you have for the owner of a mac XL.
B) What is the latest version of word for a 64k ROM.
C) Wht is the best sys/finder for a 64k ROM with word.

No thanks in advance, I will personally thank you.

Kevin Scott     kscott@socr.ucsf.edu
______
Pain is inevitable.  Suffering is optional.

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (02/12/90)

In article <2754@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu> kscott@cca.ucsf.edu.UUCP (Kevin Scott):
>I am about (actually, my mother is about) to get an old Lisa refurbished as
>a macintosh to do word processing.

Get in touch with Sun Remarketing and request a catalog.  This will give
you a good overview of the current Lisa world.  They advertise a program
called MacWorks XL, which makes your Lisa act like a Mac Plus.  This might
allow the current version of Word to run.

>B) What is the latest version of word for a 64k ROM.

If Word is a no-go, try WriteNow.  They claim it will run on a 128K mac,
so you have chance of making it work on a Lisa.

-john-

John A. Weeks III   (612) 942-6969   ...uunet!rosevax!bungia!wd0gol!newave!john
<***  ***  Disclaimer: Its my machine, so I can say whatever I want.  ***  ***>

fiddler@concertina.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (02/13/90)

In article <2754@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu>, kscott@cca.ucsf.edu (Kevin Scott) writes:

> I am about (actually, my mother is about) to get an old Lisa refurbished as
> a macintosh to do word processing.  I would like to have her use MS word,
> because it is a program I am familiar with (if she calls with a question).
>
> I would like to know
>
> A) Any advice you have for the owner of a mac XL.
> B) What is the latest version of word for a 64k ROM.
> C) Wht is the best sys/finder for a 64k ROM with word.

Have your mom (or you) talk to the people at Sun Remarketing (Logan, UT).

Their current version of the MacXL operates as a Mac Plus...128K ROMs.

They say it works fine with the current version of MS Word.

------------
"...Then anyone who leaves behind him a written manual, and likewise
anyone who receives it, in the belief that such writing will be clear
and certain, must be exceedingly simple-minded..."   Plato, _Phaedrus_

galen@hoptoad.uucp (Galen Wolf) (02/17/90)

You can get repair, support, and upgrades for Lisa II's and Mac XLs:
Frank Freeman
The Lisa Shop
POB 969
Woodland, CA 95695
(916)668-5637

They have HFS/SD MacWorks 4.5 which will allow you to run 800K Floppies,
HFS file system, and a full complement of Apple Profile Hard Disks (5 or 10Meg)
on your built-in Parallel Port (for the Lisa 2)
on your built-in Widget 10MB Hard disk (for the Mac XL)
AND on Profile on each of the parallel ports available on a 2-port
parallel card (* 3 slots).  Their software works with the AST RAMstak
2Mb card, and they're currently developing a 4Mbyte RAM Card using SIMMS.
They support the Lisa Office System as well as the Mac emulation.

--
galen@toad.com (Galen Wolf 415-469-6409)
{amdahl,lll-crg,nsc,pacbell,pyramid,sun,ucsfcgl,uunet,well}!hoptoad!galen