[comp.sys.mac] Problem with 6.0.4 and background printing - Help!

talent@dover.sps.mot.com (Steve Talent) (01/24/90)

Someone where I work just got a Mac IIci.  We installed system 6.0.4
and we are using LaserWriter and LaserPrep from Apple's Colordisk 1.0.
Printing to an Apple IINT LaserWriter works fine under MultiFinder but
with background printing on, nothing gets printed.

Are we doing something wrong?

All INITs were removed from the system folder and the problem persists.

Another question:  Is the 32 bit color quickdraw init's function
replaced by the IIci's ROM (or is it a PROM)?

Thanks in advance!

--
Steve Talent, Motorola Semiconductor Products Sector CAD
Mesa, AZ  602-994-6801,  ...!{oakhill, sun!sunburn, uunet}!dover!talent

arie@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Arie Covrigaru) (01/31/90)

In article <26283@cup.portal.com> Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) writes:
>Steve,
>
>use SuperLaserSpool 2.01.
>
>Fabian Ramirez
>SuperMac Technology

Is SuperLaserSpool 2.01 compatible with FileMaker II? I know that 2.0
isn't, when using FileMaker II in shared mode and I wonder if this
incompatibility was fixed in SuperLaserSpool 2.01.

Arie Covrigaru                     |    Internet: arie@eecs.umich.edu
University of Michigan AI Lab      |    1101 Beal Ave., Ann Arbor, MI 48109

hammen@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Robert J. Hammen) (02/01/90)

In article <1996@dover.sps.mot.com> talent@spanky.sps.mot.com (Steve Talent) writes:
>several different things that I may have done wrong.  One person responded
>saying that Background Printing with System 6.0.4 and LaserWriter 6.0 (from
>Apple's ColorDisk 1.0) were incompatible - this seems to be the true reason.

The problem here is that if you install 6.0.4, then just copy over the
LaserWriter 6.0 drivers from the Color Disk, things don't work correctly. You
need to make sure that you're running the PrintMonitor application that is
on the Color Disk, NOT the one from 6.0.4.

I wish that LaserWriter 6.0 was an "official" release that shipped with 6.0.4
and later. It offers a lot more functionality (particularly for those who use
their Macs for DTP or color PostScript, or even for transferring PS files
between different computer systems)...

talent@spanky.sps.mot.com (Steve Talent) (02/02/90)

In article <6436@internal.Apple.COM> dowdy@apple.com (Tom Dowdy) writes:
>In article <1996@dover.sps.mot.com> talent@spanky.sps.mot.com (Steve
>Talent) writes:
>> I posted the original message.  I received several responses suggesting
                                                                     .
[stuff deleted]                                                      .
                                                                     .
>1) You *must* use the version of PrintMonitor (1.3) that comes with the
>6.0 driver.   There are a number of bug fixes that are needed.  Improper
>printing, files failing to print, and crashes are possible if you try to
>use 1.2 with the 6.0 driver.  You may, if you wish, use 1.3 with the older
>driver (5.2?).  It should work fine.
                                                                     .
[more stuff deleted]                                                 .
                                                                     .
Original poster (me):  This solved the problem.  I would like to thank
everyone who responded.                                              .
                                                                     .
                                                                     .
                                                                     .
                                                                     .
Steve Talent, Motorola Semiconductor Products Sector CAD
Mesa, AZ  602-994-6801,  ...!{oakhill, sun!sunburn, uunet}!dover!talent

Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) (02/17/90)

Arie,

Unfortunately, FileMaker II does not support spoolers.  Claris is aware of the
problem and hopes to rectify the situation in a future release.

Fabian Ramirez
SuperMac Technology

fabian@cup.portal.com
sun!cup.portal.com!fabian

arie@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Arie Covrigaru) (02/17/90)

In article <26991@cup.portal.com> Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) writes:
>Arie,
>
>Unfortunately, FileMaker II does not support spoolers.  Claris is aware of the
>problem and hopes to rectify the situation in a future release.
>
>Fabian Ramirez
>SuperMac Technology
>
>fabian@cup.portal.com
>sun!cup.portal.com!fabian

Now, this is very interesting.  I talked to one of your tech support people
about a week ago, asking if upgrading to version 2.01 of SuperLaserSpool will
work with FileMaker II and he said he has never heard of any incompatibility
problems.  Maybe he should be replaced with someone who has.  In any case,
thanks for the info.  Incidentally, FileMaker II does work with Apple's
PrintMonitor.