[comp.sys.mac] Desktop Manager + ATM + PageMaker 3.5 = PROBLEM!!

peterm@dna.lth.se (Peter M|ller) (02/17/90)

Hi out there!

A friend of mine (who has not access to the net) has the following setup/
problem:

Setup: 4 MB MacPlus + 30MB hard-disk + LaserWriterPlus
Problem: when using Desktop Manager (from AppleShare) + ATM, the machine
hangs when he starts PageMaker 3.5 (i.e. the mouse freeze and he has to
hit the programmers button).

Does anyone out there has a solution to the problem (shutting of the
Desktop Manager solves the problem, but he would like to keep on using it)?

Peter Moller
Lund Institute of Technology

dkletter@adobe.COM (Reality is the only word that should always be used in quotes) (02/17/90)

In article <1990Feb16.163534.9438@lth.se> peterm@dna.lth.se (Peter M|ller)
writes:
>Setup: 4 MB MacPlus + 30MB hard-disk + LaserWriterPlus
>Problem: when using Desktop Manager (from AppleShare) + ATM, the machine
>hangs when he starts PageMaker 3.5 (i.e. the mouse freeze and he has to
>hit the programmers button).
>
>Does anyone out there has a solution to the problem (shutting of the
>Desktop Manager solves the problem, but he would like to keep on using it)?

this is such an ambiguous explanation of the problem. what version of the
System and Finder is he running? does he have any inits or cdevs in use?
are you sure it's PM 3.5 (??? i didn't know such a version existed...)

we tested ATM intensively with many different configurations and i'd have
to say that i've never encountered what you are describing. it would be
nice if your friend could do some more definitive research into the problem.

how does he know the problem is with ATM for sure? has he tried turing off
ATM to see if the problem still occurs? how has he managed to narrow it
down to the desktop manager?

i would suggest trying the following things:

- rebuild the desktop file on boot-up and try to run PM again

- try turning all inits (assuming he has) off except ATM and DM and
try to run PM. if it breaks, turn off ATM. etc...

- try running with no inits (including ATM) and just the DM.

- check for virus'. you never can know...

this is a start but it will help us out to help you fix the
problem.--d

"What are you trying to do,	|	  dkletter@adobe.com
drive me crazy?! I can't be	| ...decwrl!adobe.com!adobe!dkletter
anything but what i am !!"	|     Adobe Systems Incorporated