[comp.sys.mac] System Heap Manipulation...

BRBOYER@MTUS5.BITNET (Bradley R. Boyer) (02/16/90)

    Anyone out there now how to increase the system heap at startup time.  I am
running into to problem of not having enough system heap to run many ResEdit
features.  I am running about (6) INIT's (not counting any that may exist in
cdev formats).  Anyone got an idea?  Thanks,

                                                - Brad

  ------------------------
  |BRBOYER @ MTUS5.BITNET|                     |"How could it have been me?|
  |Rucell @ MTU1.MERIT   |                     |    I wasn't even there!"  |
  ------------------------                     -----------------------------

rbrown@ics.uci.edu (Raymond Brown) (02/16/90)

BRBOYER@MTUS5.BITNET (Bradley R. Boyer) writes:

>  Anyone out there now how to increase the system heap at startup time.  I am
>running into to problem of not having enough system heap to run many ResEdit
>features.  I am running about (6) INIT's (not counting any that may exist in
>cdev formats).  Anyone got an idea?  Thanks,

CE Software sells the utility program Widgets 3.0.2 with its DA DiskTop.
Widgets allows you to increase the system heap size by x K, x being an
integer that you get to specify. The change takes effect upon rebooting.

   ---  RB

eacj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Julian Vrieslander) (02/16/90)

In article <25DAF03C.25756@paris.ics.uci.edu> rbrown@ics.uci.edu (Raymond Brown) writes:
>BRBOYER@MTUS5.BITNET (Bradley R. Boyer) writes:
>
>>  Anyone out there now how to increase the system heap at startup time.  I am
>>running into to problem of not having enough system heap to run many ResEdit
>>features.  I am running about (6) INIT's (not counting any that may exist in
>>cdev formats).  Anyone got an idea?  Thanks,
>
>CE Software sells the utility program Widgets 3.0.2 with its DA DiskTop.
>Widgets allows you to increase the system heap size by x K, x being an
>integer that you get to specify. The change takes effect upon rebooting.

On the current DiskTop release disk, there is now a dedicated application
called "Heap Fixer" that can be used to change the System Heap size.  The
supplied directions are less than clear, however; you have to experiment with
it.  If you have a copy of Fedit, you may be able to use that instead.  Fedit
allows editing of the boot blocks on a startup disk, and the System Heap size
is stored there.  Since Fedit has not been updated in (??) years, I am not
sure whether the current boot blocks structure is consistent with its block
editor.  Does anyone know for sure?
--
Julian Vrieslander
Neurobiology & Behavior, W250 Mudd Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca NY 14853

In article <90046.111641BRBOYER@MTUS5.BITNET> BRBOYER@MTUS5.BITNET (Bradley R. Boyer) writes:

>    Anyone out there now how to increase the system heap at startup time.  I am

The latest version of DiskTop from CE comes with a program which does this.
| Alphalpha Software, Inc. | Voice/Fax: 617/646-7703 | Home: 617/641-3805     |
| 148 Scituate St.         | Smart fax, dial number. | BBS:  617/641-3722     |
| Arlington, MA 02174      | Dumb fax, dial number,  |                        |
| nazgul@alphalpha.com     | wait for ring, press 3. | BBS line is still dead |