[comp.sys.mac] Cold SE startup problems

pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (02/13/90)

In regard to the problem of the SE not starting frm the external hard drive
until it had warmed up for 20 minutes, I had exactly the same problem with
mine.  However, since my hard drive lives on the floor in a place heated only
with a wood stove in another room, I just assumed it was way too cold.  I like
having my Mac on all the time (it's the only way to keep up with something like
MacMoney) so I decided that I would keep both the hard drive and the Mac on.  I
never tested having just the hard drive on because I have After Dark and like
to watch it as well.  In general, I've heard that it is fine to leave stuff on
all the time because of the expansion and contraction of metal (solder joints
and all) as the machines start up and cool off.  So constant switching on and
off leads to metal fatigue and strange errors after a while - which I've
certainly encountered in a public Mac room where students flip the Macs on and
off constantly.

Adam  pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

aras@ecerl2.ncsu.edu (02/18/90)

In article <3441.25d7d66a@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>In regard to the problem of the SE not starting frm the external hard drive
>until it had warmed up for 20 minutes, I had exactly the same problem with

  [Stuff deleted ]

>and all) as the machines start up and cool off.  So constant switching on and
>off leads to metal fatigue and strange errors after a while - which I've
>certainly encountered in a public Mac room where students flip the Macs on and
>off constantly.
>
>Adam  pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

I had a similar experience, but with the power supply; at the end, it
took a blow dryer to cozy it up so that it would start. The cause, I
don't know, I went through the whole power supply before having to send
it to have it repaired and no cold joints or anything. It seems that the
problem is not only expansion but the surge each time you turn on the
machine.
Caglan M. Aras    aras@eceris.ncsu.edu| Experts know more and
N. C State Univ.                      | more about less and
ECE Dept. Robotics Lab                | less till they know
Raleigh, NC 27695                     | everything about nothing!