[comp.sys.mac] Mac printing w/ Unix

macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Christopher Silverberg) (02/14/90)

Question:

Here's a situation. We have your common Macintosh II connected to ethernet.
It can be used in conjunction with Telnet to connect to the AT&T Encore
(Unix).

In the same room, there is an Apple LaserWriter, but connected at 9600
baud to the Encore. The unix users often que their documents to the
Laserprinter.

Is there a software method of allowing the Mac user to print to the
Laserwriter while still connected to the net? Have the Mac documents
print onto the que to allow uninterupted service to both the
Mac(s) and unix users.

What other software is available to help the Mac II to take full advantage
of ethernet? (By the way, i am really hoping somebody can come back with
LOW cost utilities or solutions...)

Thanks. - Chris

gregoret@celeste.mmwb.ucsf.edu (Lydia Gregoret) (02/18/90)

macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Christopher Silverberg) writes:

>Here's a situation. We have your common Macintosh II connected to ethernet.
>It can be used in conjunction with Telnet to connect to the AT&T Encore
>(Unix).

>In the same room, there is an Apple LaserWriter, but connected at 9600
>baud to the Encore. The unix users often que their documents to the
>Laserprinter.

>Is there a software method of allowing the Mac user to print to the
>Laserwriter while still connected to the net? Have the Mac documents
>print onto the que to allow uninterupted service to both the
>Mac(s) and unix users.

>What other software is available to help the Mac II to take full advantage
>of ethernet? (By the way, i am really hoping somebody can come back with
>LOW cost utilities or solutions...)

>Thanks. - Chris

Yes, Chris!  There is a software solution!  I just spent several frustrating
days trying to solve this problem.

It sounds like you already have an ethercard of some sort.  Now all you
need is the "Appletalk Internet Router"  This is an Apple product which
runs on the Mac and translates TCP/IP packets from the printer to let the
Mac know that the printer is "out there" and visa versa.  (Maybe
someone from Apple can clear this up.  Network stuff is very confusing to me.)
It is supposedly "transparent."  I have no idea if it puts a significant
load on the Mac.

Appletalk Internet Router costs $399.  It is not on the educational price
list.  Talk to your campus Apple dealer about possible price breaks.
(part number M0705)

Lydia Gregoret
gregoret@cgl.ucsf.edu