[comp.sys.mac] EPSF format

CXT105@psuvm.psu.edu (Christopher Tate) (02/14/90)

What is the internal format for EPSF files?  I'd like to be able to store
images in Encapsulated PostScript, but I can't seem to scrape up any info
about this format....

-------
Christopher Tate                   | "Pardon me, but is this your bar
                                   |    of soap?"
cxt105@psuvm.psu.edu               | "Why, yes, I suppose it is...."
{...}!psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!cxt105  |
cxt105@psuvm.bitnet                | "So do we."

schwer@unix.SRI.COM (Len Schwer) (02/14/90)

In article <90044.190841CXT105@PSUVM.BITNET> CXT105@psuvm.psu.edu (Christopher Tate) writes:
>What is the internal format for EPSF files?  I'd like to be able to store
>images in Encapsulated PostScript, but I can't seem to scrape up any info
>about this format....

	There is some information in the Adobe red/blue/green books,
but the best source is the Adobe file server. Send a msg to
          adobe!ps-file-server@decwrl.dec.com
or        adobe!ps-file-server@sun.com   (if decwrl.dec.com fails)
with the body of the msg containing the line
	  send documents epsf.ps

	More i~rnformation about the contents of the file server can
be obtained by sending a msg of
	send index
or	send help
                            --Len Schwer micro2.schwer@sri.com

gelphman@adobe.COM (David Gelphman) (02/18/90)

In article <90044.190841CXT105@PSUVM.BITNET> CXT105@psuvm.psu.edu (Christopher Tate) writes:
>What is the internal format for EPSF files?  I'd like to be able to store
>images in Encapsulated PostScript, but I can't seem to scrape up any info
>about this format....
>Christopher Tate
   Basically an Encapsulated PostScript file is a PostScript program which
images a single page and follows a couple of restrictions so the page can
be imbedded within another PostScript program (that is the point after
all). In addition, the file is required to contain two comments in the
header of the program file. The most significant one is a
%%BoundingBox comment which indicates the size of the illustration. This
allows the importing application to know the extent of the included
drawing.
   Optionally the EPS file can contain a preview image which can
be displayed to aid the user. This is highly desirable but not required.
The format for the included image is either Mac PICT, 2 formats for the
PC, or a generic hex preview (so called EPSI, for system independent).
For Mac EPS files which contain the preview image, the resource fork
of the EPS file contains a PICT resource with ID = 256.
   The EPS file specification document is available direct from Adobe Systems
if you call us and request a copy. The number to call is 415-961-4111.
    For people connected to the internet it is probably easier to
send a message to our file server to get a PostScript language file which
you can then print. To communicate with the file server, send
a message to:    ps-file-server@adobe.com    with the subject: help
You will get a help message sent to you in a day or two with information
on how to use the file server. If you just want the EPS file spec document
then send a message to the file server with the subject:
   send Documents EPSF.ps
Hope this helps,

David Gelphman
Adobe Systems Incorporated