[comp.sys.mac] Converting Postscript Fonts to Outline Fonts

paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) (02/15/90)

Is there any way to convert a Postscript Font to an Outline font?

Thanks for any info.

--
Saiid Paryavi                      			CIS Department
Internet:  paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu			Nichols Hall, KSU

gelphman@adobe.COM (David Gelphman) (02/18/90)

In article <1990Feb14.205641.6544@deimos.cis.ksu.edu> paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) writes:
>Is there any way to convert a Postscript Font to an Outline font?
>Saiid Paryavi                      			CIS Department

    Almost all PostScript language font programs are outline fonts. All
the font packages for sale as 'PostScript fonts' that I'm aware of
are outline fonts. Certainly all those that Adobe Systems sells are
outline fonts. It is also possible to build bitmap fonts which are
PostScript language font programs but that is typically for a specialized
use rather than commercial sale.
    If you have a font which is a bitmap font which you wish to convert
to outline fonts then I suspect there are tools available to assist
the process. For example, Altsys Fontographer has an autotrace capability
built into it I believe. There are likely others as well.
    I hope this addresses the question.
David Gelphman
Adobe Systems Incorporated